The Hidden Scars

Summary: Draco and Hermione, now happily married, have decided they want a baby. Unfortunately, fate doesn't seem to want the same thing for them and instead, they struggle to conceive a child while their friends can't seem to stop having them.

Warning: This one-shot deals with miscarriages and can be upsetting to some readers. Read at your own discretion.

Hermione wanted to cry and stomp her foot like a child as she listened to Ginny talk about her pregnancy. It's not that Ginny complained too much about it or rubbed it in her face, it was just that Hermione felt like it was too easy. Ginny had just had a baby boy a year ago and she and Harry were already expecting another child without even trying. Hermione and Draco had spent the better half of the past three years trying to have a child and it so far had only been a failure.

"Teddy has been helping more with James, though, which is just adorable," Ginny said. She sighed and took a sip of her tea before frowning at Hermione. "Hermione? Are you feeling alright?"

Hermione nodded quickly and reached for her tea as well.

"Yes, just a little tired," she lied smoothly. Playing Draco Malfoy's wife for the past seven years had improved her ability to lie, even to her best friends. She would never tell Ginny she hated her for getting pregnant, so she'd taken to lying more often.

Ginny, unfortunately, looked doubtful. Before she could press, Teddy came running into the drawing room with little James toddling along behind him.

"Mummy, James is stinky," he exclaimed. Ginny sighed and picked up James, struggling to balance him on her lap with her stomach as big as it was. Teddy pushed up against her and James wobbled a little too precariously, coming dangerously close to the edge of the table.

"I'll change him," Hermione offered. She stood up abruptly and took James from Ginny's lap.

"Are you sure? You don't have—"

"Yeah, I've got it," Hermione interrupted. She grabbed the diaper bag beside Ginny's seat and laid James on the floor. She got right to work changing James's diaper and making him laugh while she did it.

James was bubbling with giggles and Hermione was cooing at him sweetly when Draco walked into the drawing room with Harry at his side. He paused, watching Hermione for a moment before walking further into the room.

"Daddy!" Teddy screamed, running from Ginny's side to hug Harry tightly. James jumped in surprise before wiggling out of Hermione's reach at the sight of his dad. Hermione sighed, letting him leave with just his diaper, and packed the diaper bag back up for Ginny.

Draco stepped past Harry and walked over to Hermione so he could steal a kiss. She smiled, melting into his arms as soon as he'd hugged her. While Harry talked to his kids and Ginny attempted to stand up on her own, Draco pulled Hermione close and kissed her deeply. She was a little caught off guard by the intensity of the kiss with the Potters still in the room, but she was never one to stop him.

"Go say goodbye to Auntie Mione," Harry said, his voice breaking Hermione and Draco apart. Teddy and James were hugging Hermione's legs tightly a minute later.

"Thank you for having us, Hermione," Ginny said, holding Harry's hand in one hand and her pregnant stomach in the other. Hermione smiled and nodded, promising she'd be over to visit later that week.

They all said goodbye once more before taking the Floo back to their own home. As soon as the Potters had left, Hermione slumped against Draco and he pressed his lips to her head.

"Ginny?" he asked. She nodded against his chest and he pursed his lips. He hated how upset she got whenever one of their friends got pregnant. There wasn't anything he could do to help and that seemed to be the worst part. "Hey, we'll get our family some day," he said softly, pulling away so he could look down at her.