A Pirate's Tavern Song: Part II

One month, Hermione's boys didn't show. They'd almost been religious about spending the same three to five nights in the harbour and taking up seats at her bar top, so when they didn't return for over a month, she began to worry.

Harry had told her the British were patrolling the sea more viciously and many pirates and sailors alike had had their ships blown to the bottom of the sea, but she refused to believe that had happened to Draco, Zabini, and Nott.

"They're notorious enough we would hear about it anyway," Harry said to reassure her. It helped, but she still kept an ear out for any mention of them in the tavern chatter and so did Ginny.

Just over six weeks since the last time she'd seen any of them, Zabini stumbled into the tavern looking as if he was already drunk. Ginny appeared at his side in an instant, escorting him to the bar top and sharing a concerned look with Hermione before twirling off to continue serving beer. Hermione, however, stepped away from the flagons and alcohol and fixed Zabini with a very concerned look.

"He's okay, Granger," Zabini said, rubbing his head in a way that made Hermione think he wasn't telling the whole truth. "We got into a bit of a mess north of Sicily and the git won't stop raving about having a new scar, but he's safe."

"Sicily? Scar?" Hermione struggled to say. The Sicilian sailors were a force to be reckoned with and she knew their reputation on the sea. "What happened, Zabini?" she asked.

"You have a tavern to run right now, Granger," he reminded her, gesturing around the room. He grimaced and his hand went to his side. Hermione narrowed her eyes at him. "I was sent to reassure you. When you've closed up for the night, though, I'm sure the crew would appreciate a visit."

"The crew?" Hermione asked skeptically. Zabini smirked.

"Yes," he replied with a faint smile. "The crew is very unhappy to be stuck on the ship right now, but a house calling would likely do the trick."

"Let me call Gin," Hermione said, reading between the lines.

Waving down Ginny didn't take more than a second and Hermione hardly had to say a word for her to agree.

"I'll make Harry run the bar front since he can't keep house for the life of him," she assured her, taking the flagon from Hermione's hands.

She whistled sharply and the tavern chatter died down for just a moment. It was enough to catch Harry's attention though and when Ginny waved him over, he came running. He hardly spared Zabini a second glance aside from looking surprised to not see Draco and Nott with him.

"Hermione needs the night off," Ginny told him, leaving no room for question. "Get behind the bar and keep up with my orders."

"Aye, aye, captain," he said. He pressed his lips to hers then slid behind the bar and looked at Hermione. "You heard her: Get out."

Hermione sent Ginny a thankful look and wiped her hands with the nearby hand towel quickly. As soon as she was around the corner of the bar, Zabini was at her side and the crowded tavern parted like the sea in front of her.

It occured to Hermione as they stepped onto the docks that she had never actually seen Draco's ship. She only knew it existed in the harbour from the stories he told and that it had to be of relatively good size based on the amount of money he always carried with him. What she did not expect, however, was for Zabini to walk her to the very far end of the port and onto the gang plank of the largest ship at the dock.

"We've been here for a few nights," Zabini admitted as they boarded the ship. "We wanted to make sure he was alright before worrying you, though."

"You've had a doctor on board?" Hermione asked. Zabini offered her his hand and she took it, jumping down onto the ship's deck.