Four

The sound of sirens was loud enough to give me a migraine. The school had decided to close down early.

The police were now recording our statements. I knew that telling them the truth would get me into some Deep shit . I also knew that if I didn't speak up, the case would be closed in seconds.

First it was Ben's turn. He mumbled something about Mrs Cooper asking them to check if all our lockers had been cleared out. Claire said something on the same lines and added that Mrs Cooper had been showing some signs of depression for the last few days.

Yeah right ! I couldn't help but scowl. Who was she? Her therapist?

I was too busy trying to get the right words in my head, so I didn't bother to pay attention to whatever story they were ranting.

Lacy told them that she had no idea about any of it and that she was quite shocked to see Mrs Cooper in that state. I gave her a sympathetic nod.

It was finally my turn. I knew that it was now or never.

I cleared my throat and began, " Mrs Cooper was murdered".

I realized that all eyes were now on me.

I continued, " when I entered the room for the first time, there was blood dripping from the window panes. I even saw blood stains on the wall. There was nothing except blood in that room, let alone a body."

I looked at Lacy for some encouragement. She had her gaze fixed to the ground.

"Somebody cleaned the blood stains,
Put her body on the ground and made it look like suicide", I finished.

Ben spoke up and said, " Or, Mrs Cooper killed someone, cleaned up the mess and killed herself when she realized that it would be hard to get away with the crime" .

I was starting to loose my calm.
I wanted to run a truck over his head at that moment.

I told myself that doing something stupid would definitely get in the way of getting Mrs Cooper the justice that she deserved.

He had now confirmed my doubts.

It was definitely Ben.

▪▪▪▪▪