Chapter 1: The Curious Case of Naruto Uzumaki

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. It belongs to Kishimoto-sensei.

Note 1: English is not my first language. So you would come across a lot of grammatical mistakes.

Note 2: this is my first time writing an SI.

Note 3: The background of my SI is not Japan or any western country but rather my own country and my culture.

Note 4: For any reader who had read this chapter before, this is a rewritten version of this chapter.

OxoxO

It was just another day for Hiruzen Sarutobi. Wake up, get dressed, have breakfast, get to his office and face the continuous barrage of paperwork that keeps coming all day long. And it gets boring really quick. That's why now a day he has to keep his trusty pipe always in his robes. There were moments, when he wonders if overpricing paper would save him from this eternal trouble.

Right now he was putting tobacco in his pipe to enjoy his daily dose of cancer while he watches the sunset from his office window. The view wasn't anything compared to the view from Hokage Mountain, but he doesn't have the luxury to go to that place with a pile of papers on his desk.

Before he could light his pipe, he sensed a familiar signature in his sensory range. His student was there, just outside the window on the other side of his office. He lit his pipe before calling out to his student.

"Jiraiya, come inside." He told his student as he let out a puff of smoke. "Talking with you would help me to keep my mind off from my paperwork."

"Fifteen seconds. Longer than the last time I was here." Jiraiya stated as he stepped foot inside his teacher's office, an office that was offered to him several times. "What's wrong sensei? Something troubling you?"

"You could say that." the aged leader turned around and gestured his student to sit in the cushioned chair in front of his desk. "So how did your search for Orochimaru go?" he asked as he took his seat behind his desk.

"Very little progress on that note." Jiraiya started. "Last I heard of him, he was raising money by doing tests on human subjects for anonymous pharmaceutical companies."

"Sometimes I wonder, what made him turn this way." A long sigh escaped Hiruzen's mouth. It was his failure to notice his student's spiraling into darkness that there were so many casualties left behind by Orochimaru's human experimentation. And they were on his shoulder. "He have to be dealt with before he succeeds in his endeavor."

"You don't have to tell me that." Jiraiya replied with hardened face. "Whenever or wherever he surfaces, my whole network is notified to contact me ASAP." Then his feature softened and his voice gained his usual cheerfulness. "On lighter note, how is Naruto?"

"He was in the hospital recently."

"Did any of the villager hurt him?" Jiraiya might not be around his godson but when it came to his wellbeing, he never compromised. In last 8 years, he had sabotaged several attempts of kidnapping him undertaken by other villages. Not to mention, some of the prominent members of civilian population of Hidden Leaf mysteriously disappeared who were suspected of assisting the foreign ninjas.

"He came down with Yin-Yang Imbalance when he unlocked his chakra few days ago." Hiruzen explained. "The boy's Yin had suddenly increased almost 4 times than his Yang. This sudden increase has put the boy in coma. He spent two months in a hospital bed. He made a complete recovery about a week ago."

"What changed in him?" Result of Yin-Yang Imbalance varied from person to person but they were always noticeable. What concerned Jiraiya at the moment was if the changes would bring him more trouble.