Chapter 4: Interrupted Investigation

-ROBIN-

10:30 A.M., Tuesday, Gotham Academy

"Would you be willing to help me figure out the identity of Boy Wonder?"

Robin, sorry, Dick almost choked when he heard what Artemis had to say.

"Boy Wonder? As in Robin? As in Batman Robin?" Dick asked, bewildered.

"Yes," Artemis looked impatient, "Who else is named 'Boy Wonder', genius?"

Dick coughed, "But why would you want to find out? What has Robin ever done to you?"

"So no then."

Dick thought for a moment, This whole investigation might put my identity in danger, but at least she doesn't suspect me. And anyway, if she does find out and daddy Bats gets mad, I can just tell him that I couldn't say no, because she would suspect me, right? It's a win-win, Dick, you can't turn away this investigation!

And so, Dick looked at Artemis and smiled, "I have decided, I will help you figure out Robin's identity."

3:15 P.M., Tuesday, Mt. Justice

Recognised, Batman. Z01.

"Mission briefing room. Now." the Dark Knight said without looking at any of the teammates.

Kid Flash looked at Robin weirdly. Robin just shrugged.

When everyone was settled in the mission briefing room, Batman whipped up the holographic computer thingie or whatever it was.

"This mission will take you all to Gotham. Rumour said that the Joker would attack a very important family. Even though they are rumours, better safe than sorry," Batman said in a rather bored voice. He typed a few things on the computer, "These 4 kids are the ones you are protecting. Their guardian and father will not be in the house, so it's up to you to keep them safe."

Robin stared up at the screen in shock. He knew those faces.

Not because the Wayne family were the richest family in Gotham, because that he was in the picture. His fellow teammates had to protect him. 

Robin was not really listening when Batman continued, "The eldest son is called Richard Grayson. Second eldest, Jason Todd. Last two youngest are Timothy Drake and Damian Wayne. Their father is Bruce Wayne, Gotham's richest man."

"So we just have to sit in a house and protect the kids from the Joker?" Superboy scratched his head.

"Yes. Oh, and also, Robin will not be accompanying you on this mission. He has work to do with me. You have 30 minutes to pack all your things. Robin, meet with me in your room."

Not a problem, Robin thought bitterly, what was he thinking? He might reveal my identity!

When Batman entered Robin's room, he started, "I know you must feel-" but was interrupted by Robin, "What were you thinking! You mind as well reveal my identity!"

Batman stared calmly down at his son, "They don't need to know. There's a slight chance they might find out but-"

"A 'slight chance'? A SLIGHT CHANCE?! I DON'T WANT THEM FINDING OUT MY IDENTITY AT ALL!" Robin hollered back.

Batman looked at the doorway, afraid that someone might overhear. Fortunately for both of them, the mountain's walls were really thick. 

"I am fine if your identity is revealed at the end."

"Well I'M NOT! I don't want them asking me for money because my dad's the richest guy in Gotham."Robin looked at the wall.

Batman looked faintly amused, "I don't think they need any money. Anyway, you better leave early to welcome your friends at the Wayne Manor."

Without saying a word and ignoring Batman, Robin stormed out of his room.