Thank You

Today will hopefully be better than yesterday. I'll have to figure out a way to apologize to Marinette without looking pained. I need to find some way to make up for how rude I was the other day. Not only did I avoid her I also didn't manage to explain my odd behavior before she left. I truly hope she doesn't think I'm too weird to be her friend.

That would be absolutely horrible not to mention I'm pretty sure Jason would murder me in my sleep. He seems to have taken on the self-appointed role of big brother. For some reason, Marinette didn't seem to mind him following her around.

Dick and I walk into the hotel lobby and I can't help but fidget nervously as I spot her from across the room. On the bright side, I only have to worry about Dick because the others are all going to be in meetings all day long.

I stride over to her as I try to appear confident. The closer I get to her the more concerned I get. She has eye bags and a giant travel coffee mug that could rival Tim's on a bad day. Her hair is a mess and she seems to be frantically talking with Chloe, despite all that I can't help marveling at how beautiful she is.

The second she spots me she starts walking over. Shit, did I mess this up already? When she finally reaches me she has a determined look stretched across her face and those big blue eyes shine dangerously.

"I don't know exactly what I've done to make you feel uncomfortable around me, but I'm adamant about apologizing for it." She opens her mouth to continue and I can just tell she's got a list in her mind. Hell if that doesn't make me feel like I kicked a puppy in the face. I immediately start scrambling to stop her.

"Hold up! Why should you apologize? I was the one being weird. I just wasn't quite sure how to handle a conversation with you after you bested my brother and Riddler. I apologize for my awkwardness." Not exactly the truth but it's believable enough to work. I can't very well just tell her I for some baffling reason, really like her and it scared the crap out of me.

She appeared stunned for a second before giggling easily and I could've sworn it was the sound of an angel, "No need, why don't we go back to where Chloe is waiting for us?" She holds her hand out for me as a silent offer and I nervously take it in mine. On the way over to her friend, I have to work hard just to keep my face neutral, and in spite of my best undertakings, I can feel my ears go red.

I look over my shoulder one last time just to see Dick beaming like a maniac while giving me a thumbs up. I scowl at him so hard I think I might've actually seen him wince. I smile victoriously as I fight the desire to laugh at his reaction.

When we finally reach Chloe she's smirking like she knows something that'll either ruin someone's life or save it. I shudder at the thought of her holding that kind of power over me. I only met her yesterday and yet I already knew she was a person one did not want to piss off.

We trail behind the class as my brother gives them a tour around the safest parts of Gotham, which, in all honesty still aren't that safe. He was just starting to explain the different parts of the city and where to avoid when I feel a tug on my arm as I'm pulled to the side.

Chloe's smiling like she just won the lottery, "I know Your secret Damian. You're way too evident about it, it's sickeningly obvious. Luckily for you, I'm here to help."

I pull my arm out of her vice-like grip and step back slightly. "I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about." I state courtly, not liking where this is going one bit.

Chloe just gives me a bored look and rolls her eyes cocking her hip to the side. "You like my Mari. I'm going to help you woo the crap out of her. She won't know what hit her." her eyes gleam evilly, an entirely different shade of blue than Marinette's. I decided that I like Marinette's kind ones better.

"And why would you do that? I've only known you for about a day. You can't have possibly decided I'm good enough for her at this point." I counter skeptically.

Her face turns deadly as she stares me down, "I don't know that you're good enough, but right now I don't think it matters. Mari needs someone who isn't too scared to stick up for her. You don't seem like the type to hide in the shadows while someone you like suffers. So, I'm trusting you. Don't make me regret it." Suffers? Is she suffering?

I furrow my brow in confusion, "What do you me-" she cuts me off abruptly by pulling me over slightly. I watch quietly as the girl from the first day stalks up to Mari. She seems to be saying something upsetting because I can see Mari clench her hand into fists as she goes stiff.

I quickly walk over to where they are and end up catching the end of the conversation. "Give it up Marinette. I've taken all of your friends, if you would just give up you could have it all back." I feel my blood boil at the nonsense the girl I remember to be Lila is spouting.

I storm up to them, "Who do you think you are? Leave her alone." I growl out as I place myself between them and glare threateningly. She seems to shrink under the severity of my gaze before she straightens her back and gasps dramatically.

"Oh! I'm so sorry! I didn't realize you were there! I would've saved our little chat for later. you probably don't know this since you're new, but it's pretty well known that Marinette bullies me." she starts sobbing and I can feel my disgust increase greatly.

"Don't try those mind tricks with me, you harlot." I snarl and the look on my face must've told her that she wasn't winning this battle because she goes flying back to her gang with tears in her eyes.

I turn back to the small person behind me, and I feel the anger drain out of me as she smiles a genuine smile and utters a single phrase, "Thank you." If that doesn't make my annoyance worth it nothing ever will.

Authors Note
Sorry, I've been really busy lately. I had to bake 24 cupcakes and a 2 layer cake for my neighbors birthday all video game themed. On top of that my dog got sick, so I had to take care of her. I'm going to try to get back into a sort of schedule for this story. Sorry for the inconvenience.