Call Me Mari

I'm officially ignoring my father's no-kill rule and I'm positive I could get Jason to join. These heathens have no human decency. They just watched a literal angel from heaven trip and fall and No one tried to help her up. No, that would be way too nice. Instead, they laughed at and insulted her while she picked herself up and ignored her bleeding hands and tears.

As Marinette was dragged away by Chloe I leveled the class with my most threatening glare, "If you imbeciles don't leave her alone there will be consequences. Harsh ones. This is your one and only warning." I survey their faces one more time before deciding that they won't try anything while I'm here. I stand beside Dick while we wait to be seated, my good mood thoroughly dead.

"Wow, um, you really like her." he chuckles nervously scratching the back of his neck and leaning against the wall. I scowled at him.

"Yes Grayson, we've already discussed this. Or have you forgotten?"  His extra stupidity is doing absolutely nothing for me and my bad day.

He gasps loudly before leaning in way too close to my face and whisper screaming, "Did you just admit it?" My face flushes deep red when I realize that, yes, I did just do that.

"Tt, I didn't say anything of the sort Grayson." I spit out shoving him away from my flaming face.

"Don't worry Little D, I've got you covered. We'll get you a date in no time." This just doesn't seem to be my day because Marinette and Chloe decide to come back in at that moment. She's laughing and if my face wasn't red already it totally is now and for the love of God, could she possibly get cuter? Please say no. For my sanity.

On the off chance that I do end up with a date, I doubt I'll be able to survive it. I feel a light shove on my right shoulder, only to turn and see Dick smiling knowingly at me.

"Go get 'em D. I believe in you!" He says. I really want to stab him in the throat. Knowing him he'd probably survive, but his voice would at least be damaged.

I walk over to Marinette and try my best to smile at her. Clearly, it came out more pained than I thought because she hides a snort with her hand and smiles back up at me.

"You don't have to smile. In fact, I think I would prefer it if you only smiled when you really wanted to. Makes them seem more sincere and worth it when you do." How am I supposed to feel about that? She just laughs and grabs my arm, "C'mon we're about to be seated." Huh, I hadn't even noticed the waiter arrive, that's weird.

We're quickly ushered to an empty room with multiple tables and are handed menus. Seated next to Marinette and Chloe's next to her. It may not be a big group of friends, but really, this is what I prefer. Besides Chloe is tolerable and Marinette's already proven that she'd be a worthy opponent.

My eyes immediately land on the vegetarian section. To my disappointment, there are very few options available. I lean over to Marinette and quietly ask what she's getting.

"Oh, I think I'm getting the vegetarian Lasagna. What about you?" Is she vegetarian too?

"Are you a vegetarian?"

"Sure am! Haven't had meat in over a year." She pushed her soft waves behind her ear,  "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I'm vegetarian too and was having trouble picking out what I want. Though I might just have what you're having, they do have a pretty small selection." She was about to reply when the waiter came back in and asked for our orders. When all of that was settled I tried to start up a conversation with Marinette again but was rudely interrupted.

"Mari, stop this. We both know Lila's not harming anyone and everyone will take you back when you apologize. I'll take you back." I immediately recognize the blonde as Adrien Agreste.

"Adrien, we've talked about this. I've told you multiple times that her lies are harming me. I'm not apologizing for something I didn't do and don't want you to take me back. I'm not an object. Please don't make a scene and go back to your table." I can't help but smirk, I think she has this one handled. That doesn't mean I'm not prepared to step in of course.

"Mari? You're our everyday Ladybug! You can take everything she throws at you. Others will be devastated if her lies are exposed." Woah, that is a new level of dumb, and I live with Dick. She's going to kick his ass. I think I might actually have to intervene for Agreste's sake; I'm very tempted to just sit back and watch the show.

"Just because I can just sit there and take it doesn't mean I want to or will. The others' feelings are no longer my concern. They decided to believe her. They decided to ignore basic logic and not fact check. I'm not going to do anything to help them after everything they have done to me. Also, I've told you multiple times, you no longer have the privilege of calling me "Mari". Only my friends can call me that and you no longer fit in that category." I could see her tense up and with every sentence and it was apparent just how taxing this conversation was for her.

I see the blonde reach his hand out and grab her shoulder with a frown on his face. It looked like he was trying to intimidate her. Out of instinct I get up and grab his hand, dislocating his thumb.

"I'm pretty sure she just asked you to leave. If you know what's best for you you will." I shove his hand back into his chest so hard he stumbles back and winces from the rough care of his newly injured hand. With a shaky nod and one last glance at Marinette, he walks away.

I sit back down in my seat as the entire room falls into silence. I feel a tap on my arm and turn to look at her, "Call me Mari." She smiles. I can feel my heart swell and my face flush as I nod at her with a grin of my own.