Painless

I stumble upon the impact of a punch across my jaw. Spitting out a glob of blood I steady myself and raise my hands again preparing for another hit. Damn it.

I'm up to three henchmen and normally I'd be able to take care of them quickly, but I can't exactly just transform into a magical bug in front of a homicidal villain. They all charge at me and I immediately backflip out of the way.

I hate Penguin. Screw trying to be respectful to him. This is really ruining my day. "Fuck you Penguin! Is there a point to this? Or do you just feel like being a dick today?!" Okay, in hindsight that probably wasn't my smartest decision.

"What did you just say to me, you miscreant?" He roars angrily as I flinch back from another punch. "Kill her now!" He orders.

On command, the fighting gets more and more intense. It's getting harder to keep track of who's weaknesses belongs to whom. After a while, I'm able to sneak behind one of them and kick them in the neck effectively knocking him out. Now I only have two more to face, I can do that.

The throbbing in my face worsens as I continue to fight to the point where I'm worried I've actually broken a bone. It wouldn't be much of a surprise though. I've been hit a lot today. One of the two left gets a lucky hit toward my injured eye. I hiss in pain quickly before recovering. Punching him in the jaw in retaliation I knock him to the floor and kick him in the head.

One. More. The throbbing in my eye is almost unbearable and I can feel blood leak down my face.  I pant heavily as I get into a fighting stance and gestured for him to continue. He runs at me exactly as the others had except instead of aiming for my face he punches me directly in the gut. Fuck how could I be so stupid? I fall down as I struggle to stand up and catch my breath at the same time.

Raising my hands back into a fighting position I resolve myself for the next attack. The henchman moves forward to strike again; I brace myself to dodge.

"Halt!" He freezes instantly and turns around to look at Penguin standing straight. I heave as I lower my hands and try to look less tired than I am, but I can feel my hands shake at my sides and I know he sees it too. He walks forward proudly, "You've done better than expected little girl. So, I've decided to take pity on you. You can continue like this and die from being beaten to death, or I can shoot you right now. I would grant you a painless death."

His expressionless face stares directly at me as I look back at him in confusion. "Sir, are you asking me if I want to give up and die?"

"Well, that's an insensitive way to put it, but yes. It would be quick and easy." He explains with a thoughtful look. I assess him warily to see if he was being serious.

"Um, sorry sir, but I think I'd rather keep fighting."

"Don't be a foolish little girl. I don't offer the easy way out very often, be smart about this."

"With all due respect, I'd like to take my chance at survival. I understand fully that I could end up with a bloody and painful death, but at least I wouldn't have given up." I straighten as I speak my slurred words. Trying not to seem as drained of energy as I am.

"Wrong choice." He growls out as he backs up to his previous spot. "Henchman! Resume!"

The henchman acts immediately racing toward me. Having been able to catch my breath I'm able to think much clearer. As quickly as my injured body will allow me to, I race forward and kick him in the groin and punch his throat. The man staggers back gasping for air like a fish out of water. I jump up ignoring all of my pain and bring my foot down on the top of his head. He goes down and doesn't get back up.

I sigh in relief before four more men step forward, not even phased that I have defeated six others before them. One actually looks a bit guilty about stepping forward. I must look like hell incarnate if the bad guys are feeling bad for me. I get into my fighting position and clench my fists out of frustration. I look down in shock as I feel warm sticky blood seeping from my knuckles. I guess that makes sense I've punched a lot of faces today.

All four of them charge at me and I'm immediately overwhelmed. I try my hardest to dodge and fight back, but they're all too close. I can't use my speed to my advantage and every time I move something hurts. My heart rate picks up as I come to the realization that I'm going to die. There's no way I can beat all of them without any help or weapons in my state. One gets an extra hard hit to my jaw and a fly back landing in a heap on the floor.

I'm trying my hardest to get up but I can't seem to move. Spots are dancing In my vision and I know this is the end. Penguin was right, I should have taken the easy way out. Right as my vision fades to black a hear a shout of pure terror.

"MARI!"

Damian?

Authors note
Sorry Marinette wasn't as badass in this chapter. But she's human too and I wanted to convey that. She can definitely hold her own in a fight but even she needs help sometimes and she was tasked with defeating 55 people by herself. There wasn't a way for her to realistically win and she isn't used to fighting without help from magic. Poor Damian.