07 Thirteen*

Ok so about 8 years ago my family was destroyed... but you know I got a new one that I love. Ari is the Alpha of the Midnight Moon pack. The largest in North America. He's kinda like my dad when I'm in trouble and my big brother any other time. I love him but he is seriously overprotective.

"Bray! Get up now or you'll miss breakfast!" Beta Clay yells. I get up and run downstairs.

"What gives Clay!? Where's Ari?" I ask as I sit at the counter.

"Alpha stuff... but you know I make a killer omelet!" He grins sliding me a plate. I frown. Ari has been a no-show for months. I don't have many friends, so with him off doing whatever, it feels like I'm alone.

"Cheer up pup! He'll be better after the banquet." Clay says. I stab a bite of the eggs, twirling my fork, not really in the mood to eat.

"Yeah... sure," I say highly disappointed. I haven't seen him all week and it's Friday.

"Come on it's about time for you to get to school." He tells me.

"Crap!" I yell dropping my fork on my uneaten breakfast. I run upstairs to get dressed ensuring my t-shirt and sneakers match. I mean what's the point in having shoes in every color if you don't match? I gel my hair to perfect points and grin in the mirror. I may be alone, but I look good!

"Brayden Now!" Clay calls. I run downstairs as he chuckles. "I swear you are more obsessed with your looks than a teenage girl." He says as I run past.

"Love you too, Clay!" I grin at him and he rolls his eyes. Clay is my friend, brother, and mentor. He lets me help him with pack stuff which makes me feel more like one of them.

You see, because I'm gonna be Alpha of another pack, Ari can't accept me into his. So no mind link. It sucks and the other kids in the pack kinda look down on me for it. I mean it doesn't bother me that I don't have the link because I understand why but I don't like feeling like an outsider.

I run up to the group of kids walking to school. I quickly find Eric. He's the first and only kid in the pack that likes me.

"Hey, Eric!" I greet him.

"Ummm... Yeah hi, Bray... what's up?" He asks hesitantly.

"Nothing... what's up with you? You've been avoiding me all week." I question.

"Listen Bray..." he glances toward the other boys then back to me. "We're gonna be freshmen next year and I want to try out for the football team... it's all politics really. If the guys like you you get on the team if not well... and I mean you know how much I wanna play and the guys well..."

"They don't like me." I finish for him.

"I'm sorry Bray but I need to get in good with them if I want on the team! You understand right?" I smile and nod.

"Yeah, man! You've wanted to play forever... do what you've got ta do." I tell him trying not to show the pain I feel. First Ari now Eric! I think Clay is the only friend I have left!

"I knew you'd get it! Thanks, man you're the best!" He slaps my back and runs up to the older boys. I slowly shift to the back of the group.

"Keep moving pup!" A guy only a year older than me yells pushing me forward. The high schoolers lead the group and make sure all of us get to school. I guess I won't be sneaking off. I sigh and pick up the pace.

At school I'm bored. I could get my GED any day if Ari would let me. I've always tested well above my grade level. I don't see why I still have to come here. Ari says it's important for me to socialize with kids my own age. I say they are all idiots and need to grow up... but it's not my decision so I go to school.