Chapter I

Thick bush concealed the meeting. Tree stumps that had been destroyed by termites stood in a perfect circle, though no Alpha dared to sit on the hallowed out, moulded wood. In the middle of the aged stumps had been completely cleared of life. Only dead leaves and old twigs scattered across the ground where eleven men gathered.

        They stood around impatiently, waiting for the last to arrive. Alpha Cassius was rarely punctual and although this was a royal pain in their ass, no one had the guts to speak to him directly. Every Alpha stood stiffly in the small clearing, wanting nothing else but to get this over with.

        The suns rays glared through the thick curtain of leaves. The air was dead. No one spoke nor moved a muscle. The coastal wind didn’t reach this far inland, leaving the air thick and humid. 

        Alpha Lennon growled lowly in annoyance. Today they were to discuss the date of the gathering and Alpha Lennon would be more than happy if the east pack was not invited. Unfortunately this was not the case.

        The soft pattering of footsteps caused the Alpha’s to turn simultaneously, staring through the thick shrub that Alpha Cassius climbed through. “Let’s get this over with, I have somewhere important to be,” he snarled before he even entered the clearing.

        The other Alpha’s shared annoyed glances as he sauntered in. Alpha Lennon tried not to scrunch his nose in disgust. He was repelled by the males strong, dominant scent. The clearing was quiet as leaves crunched under his boots. Alpha Cassius looked up expectantly towards the other Alpha’s, ignoring their annoyed and disgusted looks. Instead, he revelled in the fear that simmered under. No matter how much they tried to hide it, Alpha Cassius could smell it leaking out of their pores.

        “Three weeks from now I believe is the perfect time for the gathering,” Alpha Boyd stated. 

        The gathering happened every two years. It was the only time where all twelve packs would organise to be at the same place and time so pack members could find their mates. This year Alpha Lennon’s daughter, Evangeline, would be attending for the first time. He just hoped she wouldn’t end up with an east pack brute as a mate.

        “So we meet here on the thirty first when the sun goes down,” Alpha Lennon spoke up with finality, hoping this would end the meeting. The others nodded in agreement and he sighed.

        Alpha Cassius stood still, listening intently on their arrangements. He rarely engaged in their conversation and secretly they were glad. The sound of his voice alone made their wolves want to submit. This was something every Alpha despised greatly. They hated the weak feeling he brought upon them.

        “So it is settled,” Alpha Boyd said. The air crackled with tension. Alpha’s could never be confined in such a small premises for long periods of time due to the overpowering dominance that seeped through their veins. It was an Alpha’s nature to challenge any wolf who dared to show dominance over them, but they knew the rules.

        “Yes. The thirty first it is,” Alpha John nodded as everyone agreed. Relieved, Alpha Lennon turned on his heel and departed without a glance.

        •••

        Celia hummed quietly to herself as she hung the colourful quilts against the stall walls. Her excitement kept her adrenaline up as she raced around the stall, helping with the set up. She couldn’t wait to walk around the stalls, she heard they had everything from computer equipment, servants and land to materials, recipes and even tutorials. She could not wait.

        The sticky air grouped inside the stall as the women set up for the day. Eve sprawled across the leaf covered floor. Sticks and small stones dug into her skin as she waited for Celia to finish. Her breathing deepened as she studied the tree’s that blocked the bright blue sky, swaying indifferently to wind that didn’t seem to exist.

        “Boo!” Suddenly, Celia’s dark mane covered her sight as she jumped over her. Eve screamed and pushed her off before laughing. “Come on! I want to look around,” she giggled pulling Eve onto her feet. Every nerve was alive in excitement as she contained the urge to run around freely. Her mother would scold her for not acting of age if she saw.

        The girls walked briskly to each stall, peeking in quickly before travelling on. Each stall sold many strange things. Things which that pack had either made or thought was useful. Celia never let her eyes rest upon one thing for too long as they walked around. Home made clothes hung out the front of some stalls while lines of Omega’s were chained to others. 

        She looked away quickly, not wanting to see the defeated look in their sunken eyes and dirt covered faces. Omega’s were weak wolves, unable to turn. Instead of being thrown out to become Rogues, they were turned into slaves.

        Eve dragged her past the Omega’s to look at different stalls. Each one was set up differently. One was created entirely of wooden crates, giving it an earthy feel. The girls walked in, looking for elaborate material for Celia’s sewing obsession.

        Small pot plants lined the wooden crates. Fairy lights danced around the stall walls, even though it was still morning. The girls looked around quietly, running fingers over tables covered in small knick-knacks. Other than an old lady standing by the counter, the stall was empty.

        Hung upon the back wall were rolls of beautiful material. Deep purple silk embroidered with small, crystal like beads caught Celia’s eye instantly. Her small, sun kissed hand gingerly reached forward and ran fingers down the elaborate embroidery, feeling the small beads runs under her fingers as they swirled into impossibly beautiful designs. 

        She knew that silk was a hard fabric to work with, but she felt up to the challenge. Carefully leaning forward she picked the long roll off the wall and steadily walked over to the clear wooden table in the middle of the stall. An elder lady smiled as Celia placed the fabric gently in front of her. Her long, blue dress hung loose on her shoulders and fell to the floor.

        “How much?” She asked Celia, pulling a ruler from under the table.

        “Three metres please,” Celia answered the old lady with a smile, watching as she measured the fabric before cutting a neat line through the middle of a beaded design. The lady slowly folded the soft silk and placed it in a plastic bag.

        After paying the girls left the stall, deciding quickly that they would return to their own. Weaving through the small crowd they chatted endlessly, not noticing the sudden change in atmosphere as people quickly moved to the sides and even rushed into stalls.

        The stiff, humid air seemed to just hang as the tension built around the market place. Alpha Cassius stormed through the middle of the path, his piercing blue eyes never resting on one place too long as he constantly checking his surroundings. Looking for any dangers. People ran out of his way in a haste, quivering under his cold stare. He had somewhere to be, better things to do.

        He smelt her before he saw her. Sweet and alluring, the feminine scent caught him off guard. Every breath in ignited his body on fire, sending his nerves in overdrive. Never in his life had he felt so out of control. 

        Jaw clenched tightly, Alpha Cassius scanned more thoroughly until he was met with large, honey-like eyes surrounded by a mane of pure black hair. He froze, captured in her stare. And for a small moment he was not the most feared Alpha in the state, but a man experiencing love at first sight.

•••

I wanted to make this chapter longer, but I also thought this was a good place to end. I'm not very good at cliff hangers, but I think I've done alright. Thank you everyone for reading! Please give me feedback, I would really like to know how this is going! Xxxx

C O M M E N T  / V O T E  /  F O L L O W