BEFORE

BEFORE

summer of '17

summer of '17

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

IT WAS THE SUMMER OF 2017. Dani could finally leave her cramped, stuffy room that she had been hibernating in and go out to the beach to swim in the cool, fresh atlantic sea. Topper had been bugging her the whole first week of summer break as Dani was the type of person to lock herself in her room for about four days and then come out acting like nothing had happened.

Topper was the extroverted type, always out of the house and always drunk. Dani was half and half. She enjoyed her comfy bed and scented candles in her cosy room but also enjoyed parties, enjoying the atmosphere and joking around with Will, the both of them slightly tipsy from the white wine they would be given by their friends who stole it from their parents alcohol cabinet.

Dani's favourite place was the beach though. She loved the fact that she could just run into the sea and play mermaids with Will even though Will was terrified of them.

But Dani hadn't seen Will in a while as he had been away in Wisconsin to visit his grand-parents and left Dani by herself for three weeks. It was likely that she had watched every single TV show on Netflix to pass the time until Will came back home. Sometimes, she stared at his house solemnly wishing he was home so they could go on long walks in the fields with Sadie, her dog. She knew she was being dramatic but she couldn't help only having one friend she actually talked to.

Although, today was the day that Will came back from his three week holiday and the both of them could finally snuggle up in fluffy blankets and watch whatever film was popular on Netflix.

Dani sprinted down the stairs, her watermelon patterned flip-flops slapping against the wooden stairs, a massive fabric beach bag on her shoulder and her phone in her right hand.

"Watch! — " Dani's dad lurched to the side, holding a cup of coffee as Dani raced past him on the stairs.

"Sorry Dad! Will's back from Wisconsin today and I need to see him — "

"Your only friend is back?" Her dad jokes, laughing slightly.

Dani rolls her eyes whilst Topper let out a loud laugh from the kitchen, his laugh echoing through the house. Dani could tell he had a smug look on his face as she walked further down the stairs, slower now to stare angrily at her brother.

Dani drops her bag and walks towards the kitchen where Topper was seated, leaning against the door frame and folding her arms.

Topper was smirking. "That wasn't funny." Dani spoke whilst Topper ate another spoonful of his cereal after placing his phone back on the table. Topper ignores her statement but notices Dani's beach bag by the doorway.