12

"Bei."

"Bei."

"Beatriz!"

I blinked twice before looking at kuya Ysay in front of me.

"Ow, sorry, kuya. What is it again?" I fixed my sitting position in my swivel chair here in my office to let kuya Ysay know that I am now in focus.

"Are you okay?" he asked curiously.

"Yes, I am. Ano na nga ulit yung sinasabi mo?"

"Ahh... Bea, sabi ko, I am trying to find a witness of the accident. Because I just got the result of the investgation of the car."

He slid an envelope in my table so I quickly took it and opened it.

"The car is safe to drive that time. Walang flat na gulong, the engine was in a good condition, walang problema sa functions, and most especially, the brakes are okay..."

I took a deep breath before putting the file back inside the envelope and put it down on my table.

"The only reason for the car accident, is that there is someone who planned this. The killer targeted Jia. Yun lang."

I massaged my temple as I leaned my back in the chair.

"I don't know where to start to find the suspect, kuya." I said hopelessly.

"Why don't you start with visiting Miguel?" I looked at him waiting to tell me he's joking pero mukhang hindi niya babawiin.

"What? Bakit ko siya bibisitahin? Tsaka bakit ako?"

"Alangan namang ako, Bea. At tsaka, he's still asleep, right? Just visit him."

"I don't understand, kuya. Why do I have to visit him? What is the connection of that in our investigation?"

He fixed his sitting position and he sitted properly before answering my question.

"Bea. Makinig ka sa sasabihin ko."

~~~~~~~~~

I walked inside the hospital's elevator and pressed the seventh floor button.

I looked at my wrist watch just to check if I am at the right hour to visit Miguel.

As soon as I reached the Intensive Care Unit, I was still outside Miguel's room but I can see through the glass window how much he had suffered because of the car accident. Machines are attached to him, with a neck brace and a bandage on his head. I feel pity for him. I know we're not fine right now, but in this kind of situation, I will try to set aside my anger with him.

I wore a hospital gown, face mask and hair net and washed my hands with alcohol before I went inside his room.

Good thing wala dito ang pamilya ni Jia. If they are here, for sure, I am already kicked out in here.

"Miguel." I greeted him even he doesn't see me.

I hope he hears me.

I looked at his state and it just made me pity him more. I had a car accident, but it is not as severe as this. Siguro nga, dapat pa akong magpasalamat na napilay lang ako at hindi na-comatose kagaya ni Miguel.

"I know you would just shoo me away when you see me here, and maybe that's much better than seeing you sleeping for what? Almost a week now? And even if we are not in good terms now, I'm telling you a secret."

I whispered. As if there are other people who might hear me, though I am the only one inside this room, talking to an asleep patient.

"I reopened Jia's case secretly. I wanted to figure out by myself what really happened that night. I know you'll get mad at me when you get to know about this, because you already believed the police report that the accident was caused by not having brakes, but I am not. I am not buying the reason, Miguel. I'm going to find the responsible for my bestfriend's death, I'll put that person into jail, and I am going to give the justice that my bestfriend deserved... And of course the justice for you too."