Chapter Thirteen

Intuition is the most important skill a leader can have. You can have everything else but if you don't have intuition, then your leadership will fall short. In the world I grew up in, intuition is life or death.

That's why, as I help Laura carry her boxes from her apartment to the moving truck, I listen to that twist in my gut that has been bothering me for the past couple of hours.

There's essentially no reason to be feeling this way. Months have passed and I have not heard a peep from the South Bloods. Mitch and the few men who have joined my business around the city have kept their eyes and ears open but no one has tried to follow me or approach me after the day I left. It has been quiet and while I was wary in the beginning, I gradually learned to accept the past was past. But this feeling in my gut now is what has saved my life on multiple occasions so I listen.

"Baby," I call for Laura as she waddles over to me. She's nine months along and her belly is bigger than she is. I have no idea how someone as tiny as her is carrying what seems to be a very big baby. Oh, and we were right—it is an Emily in there. "I'm going to drop you off at Mitch's place for a couple of hours, okay?"

"Why?" She pouts. She's become very needy in her final trimester but I'm enjoying it. If there is one thing I miss about being a leader it's taking charge. It has been far too long since I felt productive and taken lead on something so I've been smothering Laura and doing everything for her. She's been extra emotional and affectionate the past couple of months so it's worked out well.

"I'm going to go check on a few things," I answer vaguely.

She perches her hands on her hips. "Be more specific than that, Greg. I know that tone and I don't like it."

I sigh and close the remaining distance between us, cupping the back of her neck. "I'm going to go to the South Bloods headquarters."

"What?" Her thumb flies to her mouth in her usual show of worry. "Why would you do that? Something bad could happen."

"That's exactly why I need to go," I explain calmly. I take her thumb out of her mouth and bring her hand to my lips instead, kissing the smudges of paint. "Something is bothering me. I don't know what but I trust my feelings."

"Is it a bad feeling?"

"Yes. I can't seem to shake it and I'd rather be safe than sorry."

She nibbles on the corner of her lip. Over the past few months I've slowly told Laura all the gory details of my life, leaving out the ones that she shouldn't know. Some sins you are meant to take to your grave and indulging Laura in them does not help anyone. She knows more than enough to know who I truly am now and though she seemed surprised and wary at first, she learned to understand that a lot of my life was dictated despite my actions being mine. She understands what my life once was which is why she's visibly freaking out that I'm going back. Instinctively it seems, her free hand cups her belly protectively.

"Don't...don't get hurt, okay? Be as careful as you possibly can and don't stay there a second more than you need to." She swallows hard, trying to put on a smile. "I can't lose you, love."

"Nothing will happen," I assure her. "I just need to make sure everyone is following my orders of staying away. I can't lose you either, right?"

She nods and pulls in a breath. "I know. I'm sorry. Let's just blame it on the hormones."

She manages a small smile but her eyes flood with tears. I curse and pull her to me, hugging her as best as I can with her stomach between us. I stroke her hair while she sniffles into my chest. She is an unbelievably strong woman for putting up with me. Not everyone would have the courage of choosing a partner with a past like mine, a past that never really goes away and ultimately puts her and Emily in danger, but still she chooses me. Her bravery has always been what drew me in and that hasn't changed at all.