Chapter 3

Simon was grateful that their episode had finished when Magnus texted him. It made it seem less suspicious when he asked Alec if he felt he could face going in to town. Thankfully Alec agreed, spending time with Simon and watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer, had helped him feel more calm. Simon used the excuse of wanting to have dinner out with Alec so they could go to the restaurant where Magnus' surprise was happening. 

Though Alec wasn't really in the mood for going out as he was still feeling hurt and missing Magnus, he was feeling better than he was earlier. And he didn't want to disappoint Simon. He was the only one who had remembered his birthday and had made the effort to comfort him. 

Alec was surprised at how fancy the restaurant was when they arrived, Simon opened the door for Alec which made him smile warmly at Simon. Just as Alec walked in there was an extremely loud shout of "Surprise!" Alec jolted back in shock and he bumped into Simon. Alec had seen some surprise parties on TV shows, and he had secretly wanted to have one. Well, he had tried to keep it a secret, but Simon had somehow managed to get him to confess that he wanted one to him. 

Alec's eyes widened as he took in all the people there, he felt anxious though when he saw that Izzy and Jace were there but he was surprised that he didn't see anger in their eyes. Clary was there too, so was Andrew, Cat, Raphael and some of his colleagues that had become his friends. But what shocked him the most was that his mother was there and she was smiling at him. It was a rare sight to see her smile and he couldn't believe she was smiling at him or that she was here. Alec was finding it hard to fight the tears threatening to fall, but this time they were happy tears. 

But there was a person missing, the one he wanted to see the most. Alec felt his heart sink and his happiness fade. But just he was about to give up hope of seeing Magnus, he felt a tap on his shoulder from behind him. Startled, Alec whipped around to see Magnus holding flowers and a present. 

Though Alec was still upset and angry with Magnus he couldn't stop himself from hugging him tightly. Magnus had somehow managed to get his mother to come to his party! She had never celebrated his birthday at all. Though his father not being here hurt, he was just so happy to see his mother there. And given how his father treated him, Alec was actually glad he wasn't there. 

The restaurant was beautifully decorated and there was food spread out in carefully thought out ways. There was a pile of presents on a table in the middle of the restaurant. Alec's eyes widened at the number of presents there were. He wasn't used to getting so many presents for his birthday. 

"Magnus? You did all this?" Alec said his voice wobbly with emotion. 

"Yes but with a lot of help from Simon". 

Alec immediately turned to Simon and gave him a tight hug. "Thank you so much Si". 

"No problem man, you more than deserve this", Simon said happily hugging Alec back.

"Alexander, I know that just saying sorry won't be enough. But I truly am sorry for the hurt I caused you. I will do whatever it takes to earn your forgiveness, if you will still have me. I understand if you want to break up with me-"

"I love you, I don't want to break up with you. I just need time to be able to forgive you", Alec said. 

"Thank you for giving me a second chance", Magnus said feeling so relieved. He had been so afraid that Alec would break up with. Though his relief was short lived. He was still feeling guilty for wanting to kiss Dot earlier. He knew that he couldn't keep it from Alec, he just hoped Alec would still love him after he admitted it. 

Alec nodded shakily not trusting himself to speak. Alec had been so caught up in his moment with Magnus that he hadn't noticed that Simon had put music on and encouraged everyone to mingle. Another thing that Alec was grateful to Simon for, he wasn't comfortable with lots of people witnessing their private moment. This made it a lot easier.