Part 13

The three teenagers made their way inside quickly. Johnny dusted off a table with his jacket and started taking things out of the sack and lining them up neatly and Davina smiled softly as she watched him, she was always so messy and careless while he liked everything to be neat and perfect. 

"A week's supply of baloney, two loaves of bread, a box of matches..." Johnny went on and he was taking his time while doing so but davina didn't mind, she liked watching him be organised though she would never admit that out loud, it even sounded weird to her as she ran that thought through her head 

Ponyboy got tired of watching him do it all, so he started digging into the sack himself while Davina just watched jonnys shocked face in amusement.

Ponyboys eyes lit up as he pulled a book out "Wheee!" he sat down on a dusty chair and stared. "A paperback copy of Gone with the Wind! How'd you know I always wanted one?"

Johnny reddened. "I remembered you sayin' something about it once. And me andyou went to see that movie, 'member? I thought you could maybe read it out loud andhelp kill time or something."

"Gee, thanks." Ponyboy said and put the book down reluctantly. Ponyboy wanted to start it right then but by the look on Davinas face he could tell that she too wanted to read the book and the thought of him reading it to her while he listened to his voice bought a bright red tint to his cheeks.

"Peroxide? A deck of cards..." Suddenly Ponyboys eyes widened as he realized something. "Johnny, you ain't thinking of..." and davina also had wide eyes

"there is no way in hell johnnycakes. Youre not touching my hair" Davina said and shook her head 

Johnny sat down and pulled out his knife as he looked at ponyboy "We're gonna cut our hair, and you're gonna bleach yours." He said the last part to Pony and then looked at the ground carefully. "They'll have our descriptions in the paper. We can't fit 'em."

"Oh, no!" Ponyboy yelled and his hand flew to his hair. "No, Johnny, not my hair!"

"no way. nope" Davina says sharply

It was their my pride. Ponyboys was long and silky, just like Soda's, only a little redder. Theirhair was tuff--- they didn't have to use much grease on it. There hair labeled them greasers, too--- it was their trademark. The one thing they were proud of. Maybe they couldn't haveCorvairs or madras shirts, but they could have hair.

Davinas hair was just like her brothers, same colour, thickness and volume its just hers was a lot longer than his

"We'd have to anyway if we got caught. You know the first thing the judge does ismake you get a haircut" Johnny tells them both and they were still not agreeing to the idea 

"I don't see why," I said sourly. "Dally could just as easily mug somebody withshort hair."

"Hey, watch your mouth" Davina growls and turns to glare at ponyboy who instantly regretted saying it as the protective side of Davina came out, It was like ponyboy had forgotten that if you mess with one Winston then you mess with the other, though he didn't know how he could forget, everyone in Tulsa knew that 

"I don't know either--- it's just a way of trying to break us. They can't really doanything to guys like Curly Shepard or Tim; they've had about everything done to them.And they can't take anything away from them because they don't have anything in thefirst place. So they cut their hair." Johnny replies and tries to defuse the tension between ponyboy and Davina 

Both Davina and Ponyboy looked at Johnny imploringly. Johnny sighed. "I'm gonna cut mine too, and wash the grease out, but I can't bleach it. I'm too dark-skinned to look okay blond. Oh,come on, Ponyboy," he pleaded. "It'll grow back. And Davina, you'll look just as beautiful as you always do okay?"

"Okay," Ponyboy said, wide-eyed. "Get it over with."

"Fine, but you better make it look okay" Davina says "and ponyboy is going first"

Johnny flipped out the razor-edge of his switch, took hold of Ponyboys hair, and startedsawing on it. Ponyboy shuddered. "Not too short," He begged. "Johnny, please..."

Finally it was over with. Ponyboys hair looked funny, scattered over the floor in tufts."It's lighter than I thought it was," Pony said, examining it. "Can I see what I look like now?"

"No," Johnny said slowly, staring at Pony. "We gotta bleach it first."

"Johnnycakes, you cut mine real short" Davina says lowly "and there is no point on bleaching my hair when my hair is already white-blonde"

"shes right" Ponyboy sighs

After Ponyboy had sat in the sun for fifteen minutes to dry the bleach, Johnny bought over to him and let him look in the old cracked mirror they had found in a closet. Ponyboy did a double take. His hair was even lighter than Sodapop's. Hed never combed it to the side like that. It just didn't look like him and Davina was trying to hold back her laughter as she looked at the boy.

"wow blondie, you're lookin' real tuff, ain't ya?" Davina said with laughter and Ponyboy pouted at her

"shut up" he growls and she walks over to him and messes up his hair 

"looks better when its messed up, and don't worry bout it lil curtis, its not that bad" She said and gave him a smile "though i don't think dally is going to take ya seriously"

It made him look younger, and scareder, too. He thought he looked like a blasted pansy. He was miserable.

Johnny went to hand the knife over to Davina but she shook her head "i wouldn't trust me with that if i were you"

Johnny handed Ponyboy the knife. He looked scared, too. "Cut the front and thin outthe rest. I'll comb it back after I wash it."

"Johnny," Ponyboy said tiredly, "you can't wash your hair in that freezing water in thisweather. You'll get a cold."

He only shrugged. "Go ahead and cut it."