Part 16

"Its beautiful isnt it" Ponyboy says as he sits next to her and she quickly turns to look at him in shock

"yeah, it is" Davina smiled softly and they continue to watch the sun rise together until all the beautiful colours had disappeared 

"Golly"--- Johnny's voice beside them made ponyboy jump and Davina smile--- "that sure was pretty."

"Yeah." Davina and Ponyboy both sighed, Ponyboy wishing he had some paint to do a picture with while the sight was still fresh in his mind while Davina was still dazed as she remembered all of the beautiful colours.

"I bet you it would have been real pretty back in New York, if Dally and i ever go back, ill get him to watch it with me" Davina says softly with a smile as she begins to think of her brother who she was never away from and she felt a giant pain in her heart as she missed him more and more every second

"The mist was what was pretty," Johnny said. "All gold and silver."

"Uhmmmm," Ponyboy said and stared in awe as he watched Davina blow a smoke ring so he lit a cigarette and also tried to blow a smoke ring though it didn't work.

"Too bad it couldn't stay like that all the time." Davina says and Johnny nods his head in aggreance

"Nothing gold can stay." Ponyboy said as he was remembering a poem that he had read once.

"What?" Davina and Johnny both ask in confusion as they look over at the boy

"Nature's first green is gold,Her hardest hue to hold.Her early leaf's a flower;But only so an hour.Then leaf subsides to leaf.So Eden sank to grief,So dawn goes down to day.Nothing gold can stay."

Johnny and Davina were both staring over at Ponyboy with different looks on their faces.

"Where'd you learn that? That was what I meant" Johnny said in shock as he looked over at ponyboy

"Robert Frost wrote it. He meant more to it than I'm gettin' though." Ponyboy was tryingto find the meaning the poet had in mind, but it eluded him. "I always remembered itbecause I never quite got what he meant by it"

"You know," Johnny said slowly, "I never noticed colors and clouds and stuffuntil you kept reminding me about them. It seems like they were never there before." 

"And I've never even thought about looking at the sunset or sunrise, I'm glad you were there to show me Ponyboy, ill never forget it" Davina says with a smile as she looked at ponyboy 

Johnny thought for a minute before saying "Your family sure is funny."

"And what happens to be so funny about it?" Ponyboy asked stiffly.

Johnny looked at me quickly. "I didn't mean nothing. I meant, well, Soda kindalooks like your mother did, but he acts just exactly like your father. And Darry is thespittin' image of your father, but he ain't wild and laughing all the time like he was. Heacts like your mother. And you don't act like either one."

"I know," Ponyboy said. "Well," Pony said, thinking this over, "you ain't like any of the gang.I mean, I couldn't tell Two-Bit or Steve or even Darry about the sunrise and clouds andstuff. I couldn't even remember that poem around them. I mean, they just don't dig. Justyou and Sodapop. And maybe Cherry Valance."

Johnny shrugged. "Yeah," he said with a sigh. "I guess we're different."

"Shoot," Ponyboy said, blowing a perfect smoke ring that he had been able to master after watching Davina do it so many times, "maybe they are."

"And i don't think that Dally would ever take the time of day to look at the sunrise, I'm glad that you did" Ponyboy said

"you know pony, he ain't as mean as you think he is" Davina tells the boy "And he really cares about ya, even if he ain't show it all the time" 

By the fifth day the three teenagers were so tired of baloney that they nearly got sick every time that they looked at it. They had eaten all of their candy bars in the first two days. Ponyboy was dying for a Pepsi and Johnny a lemonade while Davina just wanted to see her brother.

Davina had always refered to ponyboy as a Pepsi addict. He drank them like a fiend, and going for five days without one was about to kill him. Johnny promised to get some if they ran out of supplies and had to get some more, but that didn't help Ponyboy right then. Ponyboy and Johnny were smoking a lot more there than they usually did because it gave them both something to do but Davina kept on having to take them off of them every now and then and continued to warn them that smoking was bad for them and they would get sick smoking so much. They were careful with their cigarettes--- if that old church ever caught fire there'd be no stopping it and if they were in there, it wouldn't be pretty for any of them.