Watching Patiently

I recall tracking a string of house fires. Every fire occurred when a child was six months old, and they all started in the child's nursery. I was watching the aftermath of one in particular when I noticed a father and two sons sitting on the hood of a black Impala. I figured they were the affected family due to the grim look from the father and the frightened look in the eldest son.

As with every fire, I reported the aftermath to Heaven. Only this time, I got a response. I was told to follow that family. It was a very important family. That was the first time I heard back from Angels in a very long time.

I watched the father jump into hunting. I watched the youngest take his first steps into his brother's arms. I stood by as demons squeezed their way into their life. I had wanted to interfere, but Heaven ordered me not to engage.

I watched Dean learn about monsters before his seventh birthday. I watched as he tried desperately to keep his brother ignorant. I kept quiet when Sam ran away for the first time, and John Winchester was not happy with Dean for letting it happen.

I watched Dean give Sam the last of the cereal one time, and I wondered. I have millions of older brothers. Why had only two of them been nice to me? Gabriel taught me to defend myself. He taught me humor and authority. Balthazar taught me how to fly, and how to do things without anyone knowing. Those two were my Dean. I suppose everyone needs a Dean.

As I watched the two grow up, I noticed how distant Sam seemed towards his father. Dean seemed to worship his father. At the time they reminded me of Michael and Lucifer. I didn't know just how correct I was.

Watching these two brothers be surrounded by evil for around 22 years, I only wanted to show them that good is out there. I couldn't though. I constantly tried to subtly help them out, but they never had hope.

I had watched humanity for thousands of years, and never had I seen one family sacrifice themselves more than the Winchesters. First Mary Winchester, who must have made a deal or else that demon never would have appeared at her house. Then John Winchester, who had just died to save Dean. With parents like those, I can only imagine the boys wills to save each other.

With humans like Sam and Dean killing the monsters, many Angels left earth to it's own devices. I stuck around, since my order to watch over the two had not yet concluded.

There was a lot of tension between the two brothers after their father's death. After Dean admitted what his father had said in his final moments and the two had went seperate ways, it was clear just how hard everything had hit. Those brothers tended to over exaggerate a lot, but I suppose this reaction isn't too extreme.

I was called to heaven again right after that. Apparently news got out that God was gone, and all fingers were pointed at me. After Raphael and Michael made me out to be a piss-poor version of Lucifer, it's no wonder everyone assumed I had something to do with it. I mean I did but it's not like I locked him away somewhere or killed him. I just told him my thoughts.

It took quite a while for me to convince the Angels that God left on his own devices. After I managed to get through to the Angels, I was told to return to the Winchesters, and not to report back until some deadly event happened.

Though with hunters what else can you expect?

I got back to the brothers just in time to see Sam kill a crossroads demon. I don't know what he was thinking. All he did was kill a dispensable demon.

Apparently Dean made a deal and Sam shot the demon who dealt it. Dean was not very happy.

After more of the usual, the boys drove into one town and just disappeared. I'm not exaggerating either, they vanished into thin air.

I scanned the town hundreds of times, then scanned every town around it. I officially lost them. I decided to go to my favorite heaven to wait and I would see if anything changed later on. The next time I went to earth I found them driving out of that same town. That was about three months later.

Whatever happened to them, they didn't talk about it at all. For them going off the radar completely for three months, they seem surprisingly calm. I can only assume whatever happened was resolved.

I continued to watch them without complications. When they went after Lilith, I knew it was over. Dean had made a deal, and he would go to hell at the hands of Lilith. Then all I had to do was rip his ass back out.