2: The Truth of the Misfortune

Mallika

Why can't I just seem to get over that conversation? Who's this Sumedh? And most importantly...what is his misfortune that Bhaiya is so scared about? Without realizing where I was going, I tripped over a rock, about to fall, when suddenly Shrishti caught me.

"Rajkumari, are you okay?" she asked, as I regained my balance.

"I'm fine," I mumbled back, still lost in my thoughts. Why am I gaining this odd curiosity? I've never met him, but suddenly want to know all about him.

"Shrishti...do you happen to know anything about Sondhara?"

"Yes Rajkumari! I heard so much about that kingdom! Currently, Maharani Ratnabai is ruling the kingdom. The region is known for its wealth, power, public welfare..."

Shrishti kept talking on and on about how "lavish" the kingdom was - up to a point where I couldn't tolerate it anymore and interrupted her ramble.

"Okay nevermind that...but do you know anything about Rajkumar...Sumedh?"

Hearing his name, Shrishti's eyes went wide. "Rajkumari...oh how do I say this?"

"Shrishti, tell me anything!"

"Umm okay...I've heard a lot of rumours. He...he isn't the most pleasant person. Everytime he appears in front of people, they start shivering. His eyes reflect cruelty and terror! Oh my, just thinking about him is making me tremble!"

It took me a while to process this before I gave my response. "But someone can't be cruel for nothing. There has to be something more to it..."

"Rajkumari, you are right on point! It seems you were born to understand people! Rumours have it that whoever he loves dies. His mother died during childbirth, his father during a war, his brother in a conflict with another kingdom. Up to a point, where he's the only one remaining. That's why he is so cruel with his people and family. Not many people have seen him and he barely gets out of the palace walls. The kingdom is well off in the Maharani's rule, who is also his Bhabhiji, but still the people have an ounce of fear in themselves."

Hearing this, I got lost in my thoughts again. How can love be a misfortune?! Love is another name of fortune. And how can someone be this cruel? He has to have at least some love in his heart. But what if what Shrishti's saying is right?! This can't be true...it's probably just another rumour. But...if Bhaiya, one of the most sincere rulers, fears it too...could it be true?

___________________________________________

Sumedh

Another unadorned day gone by. I sat down in my personal chamber exhausted. Even though I live as if I am nothing, I always end up getting tired. It seems as if I never get enough sleep. Locking the doors, I got out my parchment again, and dipped my pen in ink. 

Oh Kismat,

I'm starting to feel that I've had enough of this! Living like a lifeless being, being hated by others, hiding my true self, is something I never imagined. And it's all because of YOU! Could you find no one else in the entire world to give this problem to? I want to love people. I want to live in hope. I want to experience dreams and make them true. I want to explore the world beyond the walls of this palace!

But no, you won't allow that. All my life, all I wanted was love. No one has been there for me. No one. I never got to experience mother's love or father's or brother's or WHAT NEXT?!

I want to give my niece the love she deserves. I want to rule this kingdom to make it better. I want to make this kingdom prosper. But you won't allow that either.