11: Dejection

Sumedh

The rays of the rising sun startled me from my sleep. Not going to lie...sleeping outside under a tree is more peaceful than you think. The gentle sway of the wind felt relieving. I sat up and stretched my muscles. But still gonna take some time adjusting to the hard ground. Getting up, I made my way back to the hut. Looking inside, I saw that she was still fast asleep. Her face looked troubled even while sleeping. Seeing that, I suddenly didn't want to disturb her.

Quietly, making my way back outside, I freshened up. Coming back, hoping she was awake by now, I entered the hut - ready to start the day. She's still sleeping. How can someone sleep this much? Maybe she couldn't fall asleep as well last night.

I slowly walked closer, crouching down. I reached my hand out, but then stopped realizing what I was doing. Better to just call her name. Else she's going to come back at me with her "sword and hand fight skills". Wait...what was her name again? I closed my eyes trying to remember the invite. Rajumari...Rajkumari...M-Mallika. Something about that name just made me smile.

"M-Mallika," I started out, whispering. Why are you talking so low? You're supposed to wake her up, not put her to sleep.

"Rajkumari M-Mallika," I said, louder this time. She moved slightly, but still didn't wake up. A strand of hair fell on her cheek. Her eye twitched slightly, irritated by her own hair. Something stirred inside me, taking over my feelings...my actions. I was uncontrollable. I reached my hand out again, slightly brushing her cheek. I pushed her hair to the side, continuing to tuck it behind her ear.

Feeling the sensations, she began moving and waking up. Realizing what I just did, I put my guard back up. "Rajkumari Mallika, wake up!"

Hearing my voice, she opened her eyes slowly. Adjusting to the sun, she squinted her eyes, not immediately noticing me. I got up, crossing my arms, and gave her a cold look. Shocked, she immediately jerked up, looking down. I continued staring at her for a few more moments before turning on my heel and walking out.

______________________________________________

Mallika

How long was he standing there? How long was I even asleep? Ughh. Getting up from the mat on the ground, I stretched a muscle that felt strained. I walked out, immediately noticing him sitting under that tree meditating. Already getting used to this, I see. At least he bothered to give me my privacy by letting my sleep inside. I started storming past him, my mind replaying yesterday's incidents. Instantly, he spoke up with his eyes still closed.

"There's a lake nearby, if you walk in the right direction from here. If you need me to drop you off, speak up."

Does he think I can easily trust him?! "No need. I'm capable of going myself!" With that, I stomped off, just before noticing a smirk of his face.

Just as he said, I saw the crystal clear water of a lake. It was gorgeous, reflecting the sky from its flowing waves. Slowly, I stepped in, letting go of all my troubled thoughts. I could have spent eternity here, letting the gentle flow of the water de-stress me. Soon, I finished freshening myself up after draping on new clothes. I took a deep breath while walking back through the forest, absorbing the peacefulness. I walked back to the hut to hear the sounds of voices. It was him with some villager. As I walked closer, I could hear they were engaged in a conversation. I greeted the old man and smiled, before walking into the hut.

"You're a lucky person, young man. Just by looking at your wife, I can tell that you two are destined to be for each other. God bless you two." I heard the man say. I didn't know whether to accept the compliment or fume over the fact that I was that idiot's "wife". I heard his nervous chuckles and a few more words before the conversation ended. The sound of his footsteps started coming towards me...

_______________________________________________

Sumedh

While she was gone, a villager came over to talk. Mostly through the conversation, I was familiarized more with this land. But I think she definitely heard his comment at the end...ugh. I grabbed the thing I got for her and made my way inside. Just as I expected, her back was facing me. I let out a sigh before speaking.

"I got this for you...I don't expect you to accept it or anything...but, you know, if you want to wear it...that would be nice I guess. Not for my sake! Just something small for yourself."

We stood there in silence. Even though I couldn't see her, I knew she was hesitating. I think I should leave her alone. I turned around, and after taking one last look at her, walked out the door. It's nearing time to eat. I'll go and get something. Hopefully, by the time I return she'll accept what I gave her. Not that I care or anything.

When I returned with an armful of fruits, I walked to the door of the hut. I placed a portion of the food on a cloth inside. As much as I didn't want to look at her, my eagerness couldn't resist. My head slowly moved up, and I saw her back sitting on the floor. A stang of disappointment and dejection flooded through me as I strolled back outside....she didn't wear the thread of flowers I gave her. 

 👑