23: Beauty in the Sunset

Mallika

Yesterday's incident left me restless and thinking the whole night - which might explain my tired behavior this whole day. It was evening and another plain day was about to end. Day by day eagerness to return home kept increasing. I was beginning to feel incredibly homesick. As I sat down yawning outside, I let my thoughts take over my mind. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him.

"Rajkumar!"

He turned around with a smile. He had started doing that a lot more now.

"If you don't mind...can we go for a stroll or something?"

I watched as he looked down thoughtfully, his expressions changing from curiosity to something suspicious. He jerked his head up with a smirk and ran inside. What is he doing?!

Another yawn came out of my mouth as I waited. Suddenly, I felt something cover my eyes immediately making everything around me vanish. For a second I became alert with suspicion until I heard his voice near my ear.

"The day's not over yet to start yawning already..."

I stood up with curiosity and he placed his hands around my shoulders. "Care to explain what's running on inside your head?"

"If I give you all the answers now, what's the point of surprises?"

"One thing you should know about me: I hate surprises."

"Well this Rajkumar is officially going to change your opinion, Rajkumari."

His mischievous words left me in wonder. I felt as he started walking, gently pulling me along with him. If he thought this was going to be that easy, then he was completely wrong. I kept stumbling over my step, hesitated to take another step forward, and started inching closer and closer to him. Walking in blindfolds wasn't exactly the best definition of fun. I could tell, even without seeing his expression, that even he was getting tired of this.

"You know...walking like this is pretty--"

But before I could even finish my sentence, I felt myself being pulled up mid-air. Am I floating in air?! But only then did I realize the support under my back and legs. I'm being carried by none other than...the Rajkumar Sumedh?! It wasn't only me that had feelings of uncertainty. I could feel even his hesitant grasp on me - almost as if he was rethinking his act. Nevertheless, he must have quickly made up his mind, because with each step he took, his grip on me increased with confidence and assurance.

______________________________________________

Sumedh

I picked her up, carrying all of her weight on my arms. The look on her face suddenly made me rethink my action. Is she even comfortable with this? I was only trying to help! But almost immediately, I felt her body relax in my arms, causing me to regain my confidence. My strides grew faster as our silence continued. Silent yet comfortable.

I looked down at her, her eyes closed but waiting to open any moment at my command. I felt as she adjusted her grip on my neck, relaxing just a bit more. As the ground elevated, her body leaned on to me automatically. I could feel her soft breaths against my chest and that slight smile of anticipation. Her head rested on my chest, her trust not faltering once.

Soon enough, we reached the top of the hill and the ground evened out. I put her down carefully, warning her to not open her eyes just yet. "Not now Rajkumari, just a second more."

I want her to take it in just a little longer.

I looked out, knowing that the time was right. "Now..." I said, turning to face her for her reaction.