35

"Tries to look forward in a hurry,                                                                                                                                                     But how can she see past when her eyes are blurry?"

Khalid's POV

I came home a few nights later from dinner with a few friends to find Hiba fast asleep on the couch.  She was curled up in a ball, a large hoodie nearly drowning her in its folds.  I smiled a little at the sight, but mostly I was surprised.  Hiba usually slept very late, and it wasn't even time for Isha yet.  

"Love?" I said softly, placing a hand against her shoulder.

She didn't stir.

"Hiba, wake up, you have to pray," I murmured.

She snuggled further into herself.  I felt guilty waking her up, she was obviously exhausted.  

I glanced at the clock.  There was still about 15 minutes until Isha, so I picked her up into my arms and began making my way back to our room so I could put her on the bed.  It was then that she began to wake up.  

"Khalid?" she mumbled, rubbing her eyes, "Why are you carrying me?"

"I was going to put you on the bed," I said gently, "Clearly, I don't have to."

"Yeah, thanks, but put me down."

"Okay," I said and smiled. 

I walked over to the counter and placed her down there.

"I meant, like, on the floor," she said, still a little dazed from sleep.

"I am aware," I smirked, "But I meant here."

She rolled her eyes, made a move to jump off, but I wrapped my arms around her body, holding her in place.

"I want to see you," I muttered.

"You can see me without me sitting here," she said, and I didn't miss the way she moved her arms to cover her legs, to hide them like she was ashamed.

I just shook my head, rested my face against her neck.  I could feel her relax, the tension leaving her shoulders.  And then she laughed a little, squirming away from me.

"What?" I asked, smiling.

"Your beard is really ticklish," she said, "I don't usually react to tickling." she brushed her hand against my jaw.

I buried my face in her neck, grinning when she squealed and said, "Stop it!"

"Hey, Khalid?" she mumbled after I pulled away.

"Yes, love?"

"My mum invited us over this weekend."

"Oh," I said, "Do you want me to tell her to come h--"

"No," she said, shrugging in an unsuccessful attempt to appear unbothered, "I think we should just go."

"Okay," I said.

"Also," she said, "Shuayb and Amar want to play some basketball with you," she grinned, "So please beat them so I can rub it in their faces."

"Oh no," I shook my head, "They're actually pretty good.  Why don't you play?"

"I would," she muttered, and sulked, "Except they'll just keep the ball up high where I can't reach it because I'm short."

"You're not short," I said.

She glared at me, gestured to herself, "I'm 5'3.  I'm short."

I looked her over, reevaluated, "You're right," I agreed, "You are short."

She punched my shoulder.

"What?  I just agreed with you!"

"Yes, exactly!  You're not supposed to agree!"

"Then what am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know, not that!"

I shook my head, pulled her by her waist closer to the edge of the counter, kissed her.  

"Well, that was unexpected," she muttered.

I smirked at her.

"You and your ways of shutting me up," she grumbled.

"Who said I was trying to shut you up?"

"I just kn--"

I kissed her again.

"See?" she said in frustration, "You're cutting me o--"

Another kiss.

This time she didn't say anything, just glared at me.

"Maybe I was shutting you u--" I began.

She placed her lips against mine, pulled away, and raised her eyebrow in my direction.

"Love, that's my tr--"

And she kissed me.

"How does it feel?" she asked, giving me a sharp look.

"Just fine," I whispered.