Pelgray [25]

Pelgray

Lanna

Small rays of light broke through the curtains alerting Lanna to the early morn. She awoke having fallen asleep in the armchair. She pulled herself up and quickly looked over to Lucien's bed-empty. Dishevelled sheets and twisted pillows laid in wake of the injured witch. Lanna's eyes widened.

Where is he!?

The door creaked open and Lucien stepped in, his bandages peeking beneath a loose button up top. At Lanna's stern gaze, he winced and closed the door.

"Morning," he started. He held out a bagel. "Breakfast?"

"Why are you moving around?" Lanna snapped, refusing his hand out. The witch shrugged and bit into his food.

"I needed to talk to Alderyth."

"Alderyth's back?"

"Returned at daybreak. Harriot and the lot also return today. The estate is back in order."

Lanna frowned.

"But you're not," she said, noting the way Lucien's shoulders leaned to a side, his stance favouring away from his injury. "You should be resting in bed."

"Calm down, dragon lady. I only ducked into the kitchens. I'll be stuck here for the next few days anyway, helping out Harriot and making sure nothing comes creeping back to haunt the estate. While I'll be resting and recovering, I'll be working with the residue we collected to make a more permanent barrier the Lord can use instead of relying on magic."

Lanna stiffened at Lucien's casual use of dragon lady. At her silent response, Lucien frowned.

"I promise, Lanna, I'll rest up..."

"No," she muttered, shaking her head. "I believe you. I'm just... I didn't think you had seen."

It was a long moment before the witch understood. When he did, his lips thinned out in thought as he shuffled to his bed to sit. He collapsed onto it with a sigh.

"I caught a glimpse or two. I was originally surprised to find a Master Mage like Alderyth with two apprentices, but seeing your magic yesterday with my own eyes... the conjuration you summoned... It all made sense."

"What made sense?" Lanna scorned.

"You're powerful," Lucien said, his catlike eyes meeting hers. There was no joke in them, nor his words. "To be soul bound to a creature as rare and dangerous as a dragon shows great magical prowess. I can't even say that the coven has a witch on par with that level of magic."

"Thanks for the compliments Lucien, but really, none of it fits me," Lanna laughed, taken aback by the witch's bold proclamations. "I'm an apprentice mage. I don't even know half the magic you do. I'm anything but powerful."

Lucien's eyes twinkled.

"I could teach you," he said, his handsome face breaking into a smile. He leaned back onto his arms, crossing his legs ever so casually on his bed. He must have cleaned up, Lanna thought, noting his polished appearance, void of the sweat and blood she saw on him yesterday. "I could teach you all sorts of magic, beyond that which they teach in their pretty little classrooms at the Mages Guild. I'm sure you'd love the ability to actually control that dragon yourself, right?"

"I controlled it," Lanna countered. Lucien shrugged.

"Can you say with confidence that the next time it appears, you'll be able to command it?" Lucien continued when Lanna couldn't respond. "Not to mention all the rest you don't know. At the Coven, we have a witch who can control lightning with a simple whistle. You could do that easily in no time. We can send you all over to learn-any province you desire, any country you want. You aren't limited to the strict regiments and the stone walls of the Mages Guild when you're at the Coven."