The Infiltration [27]

The Infiltration

Nox

The driver that worked for the guild had already returned, leaving Nox with the challenge of finding alternative transport for the remainder of their journey. He talked to all the drivers in town but none were available on such short notice. After some time wandering Pelgray, Nox came across a stable and thought to try bartering for a ride there. The stablekeeper was a plump woman with sun-streak hair. She was caring for a young boy, presumably her son, when Nox enquired about transport. The woman shook her head as her boy ran off into the horse barn.

"We have no carriages or drivers to offer, I'm afraid. Only horses. They could make the journey if not pressed for comfort."

Nox silently debated.

"How much for a steed?"

"A fair price for a fair mare," the woman nodded. "200 gold and I could part with my best."

Nox grimaced. "For one horse?"

"She's well-bred and obedient, well worth the coin. Any other horse would collapse halfway to your destination but Milk. She's the healthiest and strongest of the lot."

The young apprentice sifted through his rather dilapidated coin pouch. He'd spent a fair bit in his drunken stupor the other night. That delivered a rather heavy blow to his allowance. Sighing, Nox could think of no other way but to concede. Lanna had rested terribly overnight, wrought with the aftermath of her poison, and awoke in the morning paler than usual. She would do better by visiting the experienced Healers at the Mages' Guild sooner than later. Not to mention how paranoid she seemed this morning, eyes focused beyond the window, as if she was expecting an ambush of some sort.

Nox forked over the gold and the stablekeeper happily led him into the barn. The little boy was brushing a white horse with a straw paddle.

"Jiskal, the horse is leaving with the mage. Go brush the others," the woman announced to her son. Jiskal's eyes lit up.

"Milk has a new owner? Make sure to look after her. She likes her coat kept clean."

Nox assumed that Milk was the horse before them, a rather tall white mare with a strip of brown on her nose. Looking at her, Nox was satisfied he wasn't being sold a bad horse. The woman quickly equipped a saddle and handed the rein to the apprentice. Without further ado, Nox led the horse through the bustling streets of the coastal town and to his inn. There, he paid the innkeeper extra coin to store their trunks since it was not possible to take that with them on Milk, and he entered his room to find Lanna staring at her Mages' gown spread across the bed. Her red hair, fading now into more of an auburn, was braided messily behind her neck, large strands of hair tucked behind her ear. He walked over to her and noticed the bags beneath her eyes and the knot in her brow. Had her insomnia returned?

"Lanna," he softly called, reaching out for her. His fingers brushed her arm but she didn't move. "I bought us a horse. It'll be uncomfortable but it'll get us home. Our things will have to stay here until we can arrange a driver from the guild to collect them at a later time so take only your necessities. We should set off to arrive before dusk."

Nox waited for a reply but none came. He looked to her robe to see what was so interesting yet nothing in particular stood out. He scooped up the heavy white material and wrapped it around her instead. She flinched and turned her head sharply.

"I shouldn't wear this," she said, wriggling out of the robe. Nox frowned.

"It'll be difficult to put this in a bag. Plus it's easier to travel as mages anyway. People become more lenient."