August and Authenticity [26]

Lanna

Lanna awoke to a rattle on her window.

The morning sun was peaking over Pelgray, basking Lanna's bed covers in a warm hue. She shook away her sleep and sprung herself off her bed, her hand reaching for the ribboned dagger beneath a pillow. She soft-footed to the glass window and gazed outside. The streets were empty, void of any townspeople. An alley cat lounged on the opposing roof, licking clean its sharp claws. Lanna eventually spotted something sitting on the edge of the outer window sill. She pried open the window and picked up a single gold coin. This was what had struck the glass and woke her up. Lanna knew exactly what it meant.

She closed the window and ran to change into boots, a simple tunic and trousers. She purposely ignored the Mages' robe and sneaked out into the streets.

Her heart was racing in her chest, the gold coin pressed firm against her palm. Lanna began to track whoever was seeking her attention, cleverly noting the small scuff marks they left for her to follow. She traced the path through a tight alleyway and into the main boulevard. It was a scene different from the evening before. Not a single person was seen in town, curtains drawn tight on the restaurants and houses of Pelgray. The roaring fountain was now but a small trickle, as if it was politely regarding the sleeping residents.

In her peripherals, Lanna caught a shadow flicker, and without missing a beat, she twisted and threw the coin. The thief nimbly caught it, stepping into Lanna's line of sight, tossing the coin in the air with a swift flick of his wrist.

August hadn't changed much in the last two months. His black hair was pulled into a neat ponytail, swaying by his ears in the light ocean breeze. He wore standard Thieves' garments, leather upon leather, black and brown in colour. Short sleeves highlighted well defined muscles and scars that never quite healed properly. His eyes, hazel and unflinching, met Lanna's with no warmth. Her breath caught in her throat at that familiar glare. Not quite hatred but more like disdain. As second in ranking, and the only other thief besides the Guild Leader who held higher authority than Lanna at the Thieves' Guild, August always had an air of self-adulation about him. They were rivals, vying for Milena's approval, and neither would willingly concede.

"It was hard to find you," August started with a click of his tongue. Never a hello or how are you with him. Lanna had nearly forgotten how pleasant he was to deal with in person.

"Are you alone?"

She looked around, expecting another to join.

"If you're looking for Milena, she isn't here," he answered. "She doesn't know I'm here with you now."

Lanna frowned. Milena kept August by her side as her closest aide not only for the extraordinary skill he possessed for thieving, sneaking and everything in between, but for the unchallenged and unfaltering loyalty he always showed for her. To hear he was acting beyond her knowledge was as surprising and unexpected as finding him in Pelgray this morning.

Red flag.

Lanna tentatively took a step back, edging towards the fountain.

"Why are you here? Didn't Milena get my letter?"

August's eyes darkened. He reached into a hidden pocket and produced a folded parchment. He threw it in the space between them.

"This?" he scoffed. Lanna noticed the familiar writing, the contents of the surface that she had written some time ago when she first entered the Mages' Guild explaining her circumstances, intended to be delivered to her former Guild Leader. She looked up at August with a question in her burning eyes.