4: RUBATOSIS

RUBATOSIS: THE UNSETTLING AWARENESS OF ONE'S OWN HEARTBEAT

The most anticipated day in my life had arrived, perhaps it was. I couldn't recall the last time my stomach recoiled like this, probably when I got into Hankuk university but this was different.

I could feel the staccato of my own heartbeat, the blood pumping organ going out of rhythm with every spiraling thought and then me reminding myself that it would be alright. The soft music playing in the cafe could not cover the beating of my own heart knocking on my ears.

It was the day of the date, Sunday, 4 pm, in the moon rabbit cafe.

I texted Wonho after I had received his number from Changkyun. Changkyun, that boy had judged me viciously, and made a few jokes when I asked for Wonho's number.

Fifteen minutes earlier I had arrived wearing my burgundy red blouse and blue knee length skirt. This was not me, this was not what I would typically dress in a typical day. This was anything but a typical day. Even when I'd wear the dullest, most prosaic colored outfits that did not require or provoke any thoughts, a special occasion called for something brighter.

This was just a date.

Was it?

The weather was vibrant matching with me, a genial afternoon when birds would sing gallantly, flowers would bloom until they'd ache and sakura trees would smile with their blushing petals at the strangers that would pass by them in the streets.

My fingers danced on the menu lying on the table before me and mindlessly I looked up to see him entering the cafe.

The dull and empty cafe with minimal furniture consumed him in, the tall boy with an ivory sweater and blue jeans, mess of dark hair on his head that bounced with every light step he took.

"Hi, I am sorry for being late." He nervously fiddled with the hem of his sweater with his hands clasped together before him.

"You're five minutes early," I replied and with a short pause we both were seated. The afternoon rays directly fell on his complexion from the glass wall that sat by us, his pale face glowing in the golden beams. "Are you feeling better now?"

"Colds are nothing. I recovered fast enough." When he smiled for a short second I took in how it made his eyes turn into moon crescents, and his cheeks morph into the softest pair of marshmallows. "How are you?" He asked.

"I am good, never been better." Please, for the love of mozzarella sticks, calm down my erratic heart.

"What would you like to order?" Putting on a brave facade I grabbed on the menu, but he only glanced it for a second.

"I will go for an iced americano but for you, I might recommend their frappe coffee, they make those fantastically."

"Shouldn't you be drinking something warm? You just recovered from a cold." When I said that his calm countenance immediately tuned into a perplexed expression, I wondered why, but I continued. "How do you know their smoothies are good?"