8. SONDER

SONDER: THE REALIZATION THAT EACH RANDOM PASSERBY IS LIVING A LIFE AS COMPLEX AND VIVID AS YOUR OWN

If one knew how to enjoy weekends properly I guess it would be heaven for them, for me it was always the overdue chores that I had been pushing around all week to do later and movies on my watchlist I had procrastinated on, or had the lack of time and energy to dig through.

Which meant, weekends were tiring on their own for me.

The sunbeams prickled my eyes as I stood on the rooftop. After taking in the fresh morning air I started hanging up the clothes and my bedsheet I had just washed, and that chore was overdue for at least three weeks.

My back muscles ached, cracking my neck I saw a tall person slowly ascending up the staircase and soon I saw it was the new tenant with the same sunken eyes, pallid face and chapped lips, though there was a difference, his hair wasn't as long anymore.

Even from the other side of the rooftop, it was quite evident that the lad had chopped off his locks all by himself, it looked like a tousled mope of a jet black nest on his head. His hair still reached his neck, messy bangs sat on his forehead.

The sunrays were brighter than ever and even his eyes were scrunched, a crease appeared between his eyebrows when he came lumbering towards me. He raised his hand on the air for a nanosecond before dropping it, a very awkward attempt to acknowledge my presence.

"Good morning," I said in my groggy, morning voice.

"Morning."

It didn't escape my notice that even the simple and short word had made him choke up.

I did not know what his story was, how he ended up malnourished to the point of fainting and landing on the hospital on my watch, and how I strangely found him a week later on the very building I lived in.

This was all a coincident, though I couldn't help but think the world had to be such a small place to meet him again.

"I have introduced myself to you before. If you remember?" I inquired and he simply nodded.

"Is your health better now?" I asked, he gave a short nod again.

I hummed to myself, this was getting a little awkward since it seemed like the new guy wasn't so keen on talking, and my aching back was missing the softness of my bed already.

"No one lives at the ground floor, the landlord uses it as his storage. You live on the second floor and I live at the rooftop room." I raised my index and pointed at my place on the side of the staircase to which his eyes followed. "That means there are only two of us in this whole building and-"

And if you attempt any funny business with me, I will break your neck.

I couldn't really say it and he was staring at me inquisitively.