Aftermoon

Aftermoon
- this a year before they tied the knot and had Leon.

“Babe, hey,” she called out. Nadech was busy playing games on his phone that she had to snatch it away from him so she could get his full attention.

“What is it?” he asked, a bit annoyed but after seeing his girlfriend's baby eyes— nevermind, what does she need? The stars? The moon? The whole universe?

“I have one random question, I thought of this after the wrap-up party last night when I was riding the car and admiring the view of the city night.. babe, what if I never met you? Like, what if we didn't get paired on Duang Jai Akkannee. Or what if I never saw you sleeping on the chairs at the backstage on that event. Where do you think we will be right now? Because, surely.. it won't be the same.”

Her words deeply sunk in on his mind.

What if they never met?

“Of course it would be different, but I could just never imagine that happening. A life without you would be an unsolved puzzle.”

“Because?”

“You own half of the pieces in my life. You know that, teerak,” he grabbed his phone back from her hand. “Why are you asking such questions.”

“It was just a random question. Another what if on the list,” she chuckled softly. “A life without you... what is it gonna be like..” she whispered but failed, only making him hear her.

“Do you want to know?”

She turned to him and rapidly shook her head. Nadech laughed. “Of course not. We've been together for such a long time, why would I crave for a life without you? Ugh, I don't even know why those thoughts entered my brain. I'm sorry babe.”

“I understand. Your adorable gestures are enough to compensate,” he shuffled her hair.

“But wait.. another question before you click that play button again, I swear, last,” she even raised her left hand with a 'believe-me' look.

“Shoot.”

She let out a deep sigh..

“Would you mind dancing with me even if I forget your name when we're old?”

He controlled his laughter because of Yaya's very, very serious face. She really is asking me this question, right?

“I won't mind,” he smiled, showing off his perfect set of white teeth, the sight of his dimples waving at her. “And I would still dance with you, even if you can't walk anymore. Even if you can't say my name anymore. Even if you completely forget me and who am I to your life. If I won't be able to make you remember.. I will dance with you,” he stood up, still holding his phone.

Yaya watched him as he continued tapping and scrolling on the screen. He fished the box of his airpods from his pocket and turned it on and connected it to his device. He gave her the other piece, and she willingly accepted it and put it on her ear.

“Hey, would you mind dancing with me with airpods on?” he extended his hand.

She chuckled before locking her hand on his as she stood up.

And as if on cue, the music started playing.

Duangjan nai yahm klangwan
Aht ja mong mai hen aht ja doo mai den tao rai

The moment Yaya heard the first lyrics, a smile automatically formed on her lips.

Teh krai goh roo kwam jing man mai dai hai pai nai,” he sung and paused, waiting for her to continue.

Duangjan nai yahm klangwan, aht ja doo meut mit proh saeng ahtit tee song kao ma,” so she did.

Dai tae koy wela tee ja glap ohk ma sawang eek krang..” they sung in unison as they slowly swayed, feeling the rhythm of the song.

He slowly lifted her arms to hook it around his neck, so he could lean closer and rest his forehead on hers as they continued singing the memorable 'Aftermoon' song.

Unbeknownst to the two, Mae Keaw and Mae Pla are already smiling widely and controlling their screams because of the sight that greeted them after buying something at the store.

“Ah, these two are so in love,” Mae Keaw softly commented while recording the couple with her smartphone.

“We just left for an hour and this happens.. we can't really separate these two, huh?” Mae Pla replied.

“We can never do that,” she chuckled.

--