Chapter 35

Images on the SITS Board broadcast Riga's success checking advances by the Galilei in the capital, and greatly reducing their ability to get crusaders airborne. A slightly altered plan, but accomplishing the same goals, Jack thought. Except for Norse.

Jack signaled Hummel to put a lid on the monitors. Something flashed in Hummel's eyes just before the Board blanked.

Jack glanced at the command chair's small screen. The real-time interior views of HQ proved Lirrani was correct. There were a few Galilei in the building, but the early hour meant only a handful of personnel had arrived for the day shift before the Riga strike. Some had been killed, and the wounded were being triaged near the main entrance where Riga soldiers now stood guard. Others might be hunkered down in their offices, but they weren't showing themselves. The corridors remained deserted.

Except for the corridor approaching the Ops Center.

On the screen, a figure in dark clothing strode towards Ops like it was any other day on the job. But the door didn't open for him. He stood there, staring up at the monitor.

Daring Jack.

Norse! Jack's gut knotted, his face becoming tight as stone.

Berg was closest to Jack and must have seen his jaw clench. He charged around the row of workstations, but Hummel was quicker. Firing a shot over Berg's shoulder, he struck the wall beneath the SITS Board. The other Galilei jumped back in alarm.

"Move it," Hummel ordered Berg with a wave of his X-4. Next time he wouldn't hesitate to hit his target.

Jack barely looked up, his focus on the monitor.

"Open the door, Jack," Norse mouthed. He looked as controlled and confident as ever.

For weeks, Jack had been waiting for this confrontation. He had to fight a moment of dread. Norse had betrayed him, but the true victims were everyone who had believed his lies. How could Jack feel anything but pure loathing for the traitor?

Norse wore his customary black tunic and pants, a tunic that defined the sculpted muscles of his upper body. Jack's gaze fell to the holster at Norse's waist. No weapon there, but he had to be concealing one. If Norse was armed, he wouldn't get off more than one shot before Jack or Hummel took him down.

Jack keyed the comm. "Toss your weapons down the hall."

All eyes flicked from Jack to the door to the darkened monitors around the room. Lirrani and Droga cracked smiles, but Berg looked apprehensive. If Jack was in their boots, he'd be wondering if there were a hundred troops outside the door. But Jack had two advantages. He and Hummel were the only ones who could see that Norse was alone. And no one knew about Costarossa.

Norse was staring at the cam, but then did a three-sixty turn. "I am unarmed, Jack."

The tension in the room ratcheted skyward when Norse's voice bled across the comm. Droga grinned like a fool. A flicker of astonishment swept Berg's face. The other Galilei looked hopeful.

With a quick look at Costarossa, Jack said, "I'll let you in to negotiate Galilei's surrender." He keyed a command to open the door.

Norse strode into the room with his self-assured swagger. "Good to see you, Jack." He barely gave a glance to Jack's prisoners. "I knew you would come back. I never underestimated your ability to rally the Riga. Tell them. You're behind all this."

"I have a lot of help."

"You are one of the best in the resistance. You and your friend Tic Ford." Norse scowled at Berg. "He's managed to elude the Chief for weeks."