Chapter 3

Check my last two recent announcements.

Alexa POV

As I step out of the car I take out my nasal cannula. 

"Lex how come you never wear it to school?" James asks as he steps out of the driver side. 

"Because then people pity me for being visibly sick. Its in the car if I need it," I respond. 

"Fair enough. See you after school Lex," James mutters as he walks in the opposite direction I do. I just wave goodbye as I walk over to where my friends are waiting. 

"What did your mom say Lex?" John asks. 

"She said as long as I'm not sick," I reply. 

"What about your dad and cousin?" Peggy questions. They look worried about whatever my answer is. 

"They weren't home when I asked so it never came up," I mutter. 

My friends are the only people that know what happens at home. The only reason they know is because I had to explain to them why I never invite them over to my house. Its hard explaining to my friends that they can't come over because my dad and cousin would kill them or me. Its hard enough to live it but believe it or not its worse to talk about it. But that's only because if anyone else found out the abuse would only get worse. The cops are useless so they are out of the question. 

Besides they don't give a shit about people with disabilities. 

"So they don't know," John inquires. 

"Yet..." I mumble as we start making our way into the building. 

"On the bright side, as of now you get to go!" Harrie cheers. 

I laugh, "Lets hope it stays that way."

As the day passes I grow more and morse stressed. I have drama club after school. Dad hates it when I come home later. Hopefully this is one of the days where he is out late. 

Unfortunately it isn't.

"Where were you?" My dad asks bitterly as I walk into the house with James after drama. 

"C-club," I stutter. My whole body is trembling. 

"No you weren't," He hisses, "Where were you?"

"I t-told you w-were I w-was," I respond shakily. He stands up and I can tell hes been drinking based on his movements. He glares at James who tries to stop him but has been pushed to the floor with a loud thud. He didn't try to get back up since he was unconscious. Mom was trying to help James but dad wouldn't let her close to help me, no matter how hard she tried. 

Before I know it, dad is pinning me to a wall by the neck with one hand holding my NC tight making me unable to breath. 

My vision is spotty and I'm gasping for air as I fall to the floor. My dad is standing on my NC tube so no air is reaching my already poor lungs. My arms are numb and I can't make them move to take the NC off so I can breathe. My eyelids grow heavy and the world fades to darkness.