Chapter III

Lycée

A little later

Marinette shuffled back to the lycée after the conference on Hawkmoth's capture, and after a failed attempt to see Adrien as herself and not as his alter ego. She had arrived at the mansion as quickly as the conference had ended, and she knew that Adrien had returned home. She became deformed in a nearby alley, and went to knock on the door.

Monsieur Agreste's stoic assistant , Nathalie, had responded, saying that Adrien did not want to speak to anyone and was not yet in a position to do so soon. Marinette left him a package of chocolate chip cookies and went to the lycée . She had already missed too many classes.

"Hey, were you lucky to talk to Adrien?" Alya said when she saw her, putting her hand on his shoulder. Seeing Marinette shake her head, the redhead patted her on the back - giving her time. I suppose the poor man still hasn't managed to finish processing the fact that his father is a criminal-

Marinette shrugged her shoulders. She felt terrible for Adrien. A part of her even felt guilty because she and Chat Noir had managed to capture and unmask the villain. She shook her head. No, it wasn't her fault that Gabriel Agreste had decided to abandon her son to become a supervillain.

-You will have another opportunity to help Adrien when he is ready to open his heart to us- Alya said, ignoring Marinette's internal monologue- just be patient. Nino has also been trying to communicate with him, but it seems his assistant confiscated his phone, surely to protect him. You know there will be a lot of malicious people who will want to harass you with calls and threats just because of what your father did. The best thing is to wait until he himself is ready to talk to us-

The dark-haired girl nodded slightly. She knew very well that Alya was right; people on the internet could be quite cruel. Also, Adrien had already suffered enough.

Marinette was about to reply to her best friend when a loud explosion caused the entire lycée building to shake, and both girls let out a slight cry of surprise. What on earth was going on?

"What was that?" Marinette said, opening her eyes wide.

"It can't be an akuma," Alya said, vocalizing Marinette's thoughts, "Hawkmoth has already been defeated and is in prison." There's no way ...

Marinette turned pale as she remembered that Chat Noir had fled with Papillon's Miraculous. She knew that Alya knew that too, having been present as Rena Rouge, but she said nothing about it so as not to expose her identity. She hoped that what had happened had nothing to do with the missing Miraculous.

The girl narrowed her eyes. That stupid cat! Now what had she done?

"I swear if the Chat Noir andouille lost Papillon's Miraculous, I will ..."

As usual, Alya checked that her cell phone had a battery and memory, and ran to follow the akuma, surely waiting for the return of Ladybug and Chat Noir, to find out what had happened. Marinette thanked herself for being alone and ran to the lycée toilets , locking herself in one of the cubicles and opening her bag to let Tikki out.

-What does this mean, Tikki? - Marinette said with an alarmed expression- I thought we had beaten Hawkmoth. Do you think that what we hear is an akuma? -

Tikki seemed very uncomfortable.

-I really hope not- said the kwami ​​while playing nervously with her hands- the worst thing that could happen to us right now is that Chat Noir lose the Miraculous of Papillon and that a new Hawkmoth appears due to his carelessness-

"Let's hope he didn't," said the girl, shaking her head, but she noticed something strange in Tikki- Is something wrong, Tikki? Is there something you're not telling me?