Ch. 1: I'll Remember

I had searched for every possible way to bring Bonnie and Damon back from the dead for four months.

And I was not going to stop.

Of course, I had to leave Mystic Falls, but I also left Virginia to go look for ways to bring them back. 

All of them had been half-leads, and all of them had failed so far, but that wouldn't stop me.

Damon was my brother. Bonnie was my friend.

I wasn't going to give up on them.

Stefan might have, though. I didn't know. He had said that he was still looking, but I hadn't spoken to him in months, and I had no idea where he was.

I was taking that as a sign that he gave up and he was trying to start over and he wanted nothing to do with me.

But, all this while I had been searching ways to bring them back, I had one expected person to help me while Elena, Alaric and Tyler were at Whitmore as students or a professor, while Caroline had been trying to find a way to break the no-magic spell on Mystic Falls, and while Matt and Jeremy were actually inside Mystic Falls, and while Stefan was off busy trying to move on.

Who was left for that person who had been helping me all summer?

Take one guess.

He was Damon alive as much as I did.

Checking out a lead, my phone vibrated. I pulled it out to answer. "Hello?" 

Alaric's voice was on the other line. "Hey, just checking in to see if your contact panned out yet." 

I looked around the witches who were pretending to be normal humans, looking for a certain one. "Still working on it."

"You said that you had someone helping you?" 

I looked across the square. "Yep. You won't like who, baby Original vamp."

"Okay... Then I dont' want to know. Keep me posted. Let me know how it goes." 

"Will do." 

I hung up, looking ahead.

Enzo stopped in front of me. "'You won't like who, baby Original vamp'?" 

"Not everyone is as forgiving as I am," I told him. "Remember, you still tried to kill most of them."

I started to walk past him.

Enzo turned after me. "And why are you so forgiving? Oh, wait. Let me guess. It has something to do with your ex-boyfriend, the Original hybrid, who tried to kill all of them, including you."

I stopped walking, tilting my head. I rushed toward him, pushing him against a brick wall in the alley. "Do you want me to kill you?" 

Enzo smirked. "I wanted to get a reaction out of you. And I did." I smirked, letting go, turning around, starting to walk away. Enzo pushed away from the wall, placing his hands on my waist to stop me. "Where are you going?" 

"To check out a lead," I answered, grabbing his wrists, taking his hands away, turning to face him. "And I told you that this..." I leaned closer, kissing him slowly. After a moment, I pulled away, opening my eyes to look up at him with a smirk. "Has no strings attached."

"Who said anything about strings?" Enzo asked.

I smiled, backing away. "I'll let you know how it goes."

I turned around, walking away, smiling slyly as I left him alone. 

Yeah, I knew Enzo liked me liked me, and he'd been helping me this entire time, and we had been hooking up sometimes, and I thought that I could like him, but not the way that made me want to say those three little words...

At least, not yet. 

And I didn't know if I wanted to ever get to that point. 

But he could be really annoying.