02 [Mischief]

Lord Eddard Stark had brought his eldest sons to witness the execution

Lord Eddard Stark had brought his eldest sons to witness the execution. It was a hideous event but it was their duty, to the king. Jon Snow stood behind young Brandon Stark and Robb stood off to his side. The deserter continuously mumbled in a frantic manner, with wide eyes that seemed to be still frozen in fear. He mumbled about seeing white walkers and that the creatures were still out there.

"I know I broke my oath and I know I'm a deserter. I should have gone back to the wall and warned them... but I saw what I saw. I saw the white walkers. People need to know. If you can get word to my family.. tell them I'm a coward and I'm sorry." Will said breathlessly.

Lord Eddard Stark gave a small nod for the soldiers to position Will on the execution block. He drew his sword with the help of Theon Greyjoy and left the Greyjoy holding the sheaf. Eddard began to recite a dedication to King Robert and lodged the sword into the ground for the meantime.

"Don't look away. Father will know if you do." Jon Snow warned Brandon.
"... I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North sentence you to die." Lord Stark finished before he quickly lifted his sword. He swung it down and sliced Will's head from his shoulders.

The young Brandon Stark flinched at his father's actions. He had to swallow back the urge to turn away.
"You did well." John praised the younger Stark boy.

Lord Stark turned to see his youngest son saddling his own horse. Brandon still couldn't understand what he felt after witnessing the death of a man for the first time, in such a vicious manner. The lord approached quietly.
"Do you understand why I did it?" Eddard questioned his son.
"Jon said he was a deserter." Bran replied flatly.

"Do you understand why I had to kill him?" Lord Stark repeated.
"Our way is the old way." Bran nodded, turning to face his father. He returned to his horse after.

"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." Eddard taught.
"Is it true he saw the white walkers?" Bran asked fearful.
"The white walkers have been gone for thousands of years." Ned sighed.

"He was lying?" Bran frowned.
"A madman sees what he sees." Lord Stark dismissed his son and walked away to his horse.

Lyanna Stark ran down the corridors of Winterfell and raced in the direction of the kitchen. Lyanna skidded to a stop and narrowly missed colliding with Sansa Stark. The young Stark gripped the bottom of Sansa's dress to steady herself.

Sansa Stark sighed and gently released her grip from her new dress.
"Lyanna. Be careful. Mother won't be happy if she sees you with rips in your brand new dress again." Sansa scolded gently. Everybody loved Lyanna and often her siblings were like parents to her.

The eldest Stark was about to scold the girl again, noticing the state of her loose brown curls. She was interrupted by the thudding of little footsteps and she turned to see Rickon and Arya hurrying to the kitchen quarters. Lyanna quickly dashed after them and her giggles could be heard throughout the castle.

Sansa sighed softly and shook her head. The eldest Stark picked up her skirts and walked to her chambers.

Arya crouched by the door of the kitchen with her two young siblings. Lyanna and Rickon Stark. They were always getting into trouble together and they sometimes dragged Bran into their disasters. Arya grinned and watched the cook set out a tray of cooling pastries.

Arya grinned in anticipation and Lyanna took her chance to distract the cook. Lyanna Stark ran into the kitchens and quickly looked towards the pantry.
"Vivian asked me to fetch her some..vinegar, cook." Lyanna Stark said sweetly. The cook shot her a sceptical look but obliged.

Arya took her chance once they'd entered the pantry and stuffed some of the hot pastries into the bottom of her dress. Arya lifted it up into an almost net shape to hold the pastries and scurried out of the kitchen.

Lyanna happily took the vinegar jar from the cook and listened for Arya's signal. Arya Stark whistled two short blasts with her fingers and Lyanna darted out of the kitchen in response. She left the vinegar jar discarded on the kitchen steps. The cook was confused for a second, that was until she noticed the lack of pastries on the tray.
"Arya, Lyanna and Rickon Stark!" Elizabeth the cook called out. The three mischievous children were already long gone.

Lyanna Stark sat with her siblings under the dining table and happily ate a pastry. Lyanna had decided to hide with her siblings, awaiting the return of the males. She wanted to keep everybody a stolen pastry. She knew her father would scold her but she'd set aside the largest one for him.

The children's fun was cut short and the hanging table cloth was lifted up. Lyanna gasped in surprise and was met by the face of Lady Catelyn. She had her hands on her hips sternly, in replacement of the position of holding her dress.

"Lyanna, Arya and Rickon Stark. What do you think you're doing?" The lady of Winterfell frowned at the pile of pastries behind them and the icing around their mouths.

They had sugar around their mouths and their clothes were all sticky. Lyanna was by far the messiest of course. She had a tendency to look animalistic at the end of any activity, even something feminine like needlework.
The little child had decided to run around barefoot and now her feet were covered in muck. The brand new dress hanging off one of her small shoulders and her hair like a birds nest.

Lady Catelyn took the remaining pastries from Arya's dress and set them aside on the large table. She sent each child away to their quarters after giving them a scolding and deciding that they wouldn't be allowed any form of dessert for a while.
"Mother! I wanted something sweet and the cook loves us really! She gave them to us and we were saving some for the others! The big one is for father after he returns." Lyanna smiled innocently. She tried to excuse her and her siblings out of trouble.

"Lyanna Stark. You're not a very good liar. You always look at your feet just like your brother." Lady Catelyn scolded but she found her lips tilting up into a small smile. Lyanna could make anybody smile even the most fierce warrior.

Lyanna quickly looked up from her feet and tried her best to look her mother in the face. Lyanna had a face of concentration as she fought the urge to look back down at her feet. She felt consumed by guilt for lying to her mother.

"Go to your quarters. I'll be in shortly and I'll have Vivian draw you a bath." Lady Catelyn sighed. She crouched down and placed a light kiss on her forehead. The Lady of Winterfell, much against her better judgement slipped Lyanna another small section of a pastry.
Lady Catelyn checked on the finger she'd pricked in embroidery before sending her on her way.