Chapter One: Harley

I hear my alarm go off and groan. Slamming my hand against it, having already been awake. I look at the clock the large red digits reading 4:00 am, I roll out of bed stretching my arms behind and above my head and go to my adjoining bathroom, relieving myself and brushing my teeth. I throw some water on my face and look into the mirror, meeting my sharp blue eyes. I look over my tan face, the weeks in the sun doing my pale skin some justice. I shuffle my curly black hair deciding to wear a hat today.  I leave the bathroom and grab a pair of worn out blue jeans, a white tank top and my brown Earnhardt hat. I grab my phone, shoving it into my pocket and head out of my room. I jog down the steps towards the kitchen. I  grab a cereal bar out of the cabinet and pull a Gatorade from the fridge then head out the front door locking it behind me. I head to my black ram 1500 stopping for a moment to look over to the right at the house just beside mine. It looks just as it always has white paint, red shutters and a bright red door to match. The yard was cut clean and the morning dew had already begun to collect across the grass giving it a crystal like look. I look towards the window that was across from mine, a smile appearing on my face unconsciously, thinking of the girl I once called my best friend.

I shake myself from my thoughts and get in the car, starting her and making my way out of the neighborhood. After a quiet drive 15 minutes later I arrive at my grandparents farm. I drive quickly down the dirt road enjoying the adrenaline rush as the dirt flies up past my window, making me think of those nascar drivers. I slow down as I pull into the parking garage and I jump out of the car and close the door, deciding to leave it unlocked knowing this is the safest place on earth.

I slide my keys into my pocket and head up the old iron steps opening the screen door and turning the door knob knowing it's unlocked. I enter the sitting room, the worn furniture and old fashioned TV making me smile. I walk through the living room heading straight towards the kitchen seeing the dimmed light illuminate the small hallway. I turn the corner and enter the kitchen greeting my grandmother with a hug and kiss on the cheek. She turns around the spatula still in hand and hugs me fully, rocking me from side to side. Just like me grandma was pretty tall she's 5'10 just about 6'0 in most shoes. She's smaller now in her old age but still as sturdy as a tree. She releases me and turns back to her cooking. I try to take a piece from what's done but get a quick smack on the hand with her spatula getting a knowing glare.

"The food will be done when you're done HarBare," she says laughing to herself.

I grimace at the childhood nickname and sulk all the way back outside and walk to the shed, stretching to get ready for the work ahead.

2 hours later

I lean against the railing looking over at the now clean and organized yard. I put away the equipment and check on the horses, I enter the barn and clean out the stables replacing the hay and drinking water. I grab a few apples from the treat bin and put them in the mouth of the horse, I go to my horse Shadow brushing his coat and mane gently , I slowly pat his head and put away the stuff, leaving the barn after one more glance and I head back to the house. I go to the sink to wash my hands and find a plate with pancakes, bacon, eggs and grits all wrapped sitting on the table with a glass of orange juice waiting for me. I smile thanking her silently and sit down removing the wrap from the plate. I grab a fork and dig in humming and smiling lightly. After finishing I wash up and head to the back of the trailer towards my grandfathers or rather I call hime Paw room, the floor creaking lightly under my weight.

Looking around the fading white walls and view the mementos and portraits of my grandparents, distant family members and even myself. I graze my eyes over a young picture of myself with a smaller girl in my arms both of us soaked to the bone from swimming but smiling buck teeth and all just happy. The picture makes my heartache still not knowing if or how I'll tell her I'm back. I leave my thoughts and enter the cold room, the sounds of electronic beeping and the respiratory system pumping for my Paw. He's suffering from lung cancer. In his final stages Doc says but Maw won't let him go saying ''it's not his time" and "he's not ready". Before he lost his speech we had our final goodbye. He told me some things and gave me some advice while also making me promise him something all in one.