Chapter 1- Shade of a Mandrake

Green witches hated monsoon. Everything was wet and mucky, especially when you stay in the middle of a dense forest.

Today, when Wheein woke up and saw sunlight coming through the window, she ran right out the house with her basket in hand. It had been more than two months since she got the chance to take a walk around the forest since it had been raining constantly. Even though she always had more than enough herbs, and her own garden to pluck flowers from, she loved going around the forest.

Wheein was humming her favourite song with the biggest smile on her face while walking through the forest. But she stopped immediately when she spotted another big basket, just like her's next to a bunch of mandrakes. Worried that another witch had been wandering around her land, she walked ahead to get a glance of the herbs that would be in the basket. What she saw was something she did not expect... ever.

There was a little baby in the basket. She was staring at Wheein who was staring back at her. 'Which uneducated piece of shit keeps their baby next to poisonous mandrakes' was the only thing Wheein could think of at this point. She kneeled down to check if the baby belonged to a werewolf, vampire or a human. She plucked a petal from the roses she collected and kept it on the baby's forehead. If the petal turned black, the baby would be a vampire, if it turns green, werewolf and if it stays the same, she'd be a human. The petal remained the same. Wheein sighed and thought it would be better to just mind her own business. She's not someone who'd want to deal with humans who were so dumb that they left their own baby under the shade of a mandrake. She moved the basket away from there and started to walk on her way back home.

As soon as she took a few steps away in the opposite direction, she felt strangely overwhelmed. Even though it's a commonly felt emotion between humans, witches don't feel that way until they're about to make a mistake. Wheein felt like if she left the baby over there, she would never feel complete again.

Witches also don't feel these kind of emotions for just anyone. They only feel this way when they find someone who belongs with them, like their families, their covens and their magical powers. What Wheein felt was an overwhelming feeling of belongingness, like what people feel when they desperately want someone or something to never leave them. To say that she was confused would be an understatement.

Either way, Wheein sat next to the basket for a long time, waiting for someone to show up before she decided to take the baby girl to her house where she could relax her mind and try to understand why she could feel an attachment with this girl.

"You better not be the death of me" Wheein warned the baby who was still staring at Wheein from the basket as she made her way to the witch house.

Wheein walked in the house to see that her coven was already waiting for her. Solar and Moonbyul looked unsure as they stared at the basket, but Hwasa, the divination witch of their coven, stood tall, confident and happy.

"That's baby Nina. She'll stay with us. We'll raise her to be the woman she's meant to be. It's fate, so please don't question it. Just trust me." Hwasa announced and looked at the witches one by one, receiving nothing but uncertain nods. She took her wallet from the table and walked out of the house without mentioning another word.

Wheein didn't know what to think. She knew Hwasa was aware of the fact that this was going to happen, after all she's the one with the vision. The three witches trusted her, of course. But witches raising a human, that sure was a first.

18 years went by faster than one could imagine. The witches had raised Nina with so much love that Nina never felt like she needed a mother or a father. To her, this was her family; her Solar unnie, the Elemental Witch who was always so protective of her coven and Nina. Her Byulie unnie, the Lunar Witch who was the strict one, but she loved her coven and Nina way more than she could express, and they knew that. Her Wheein unnie, the Green Witch who was always cheerful and responsible for getting Nina out of trouble when she misbehaved. And lastly, her Hwasa unnie, the Divination Witch who Nina believes is her guardian angel.