9

Dinner was awkward to say the less.

When you arrived everyone was already dinning and you went to sit down in a smaller table with Glenn, Maggie and her sister, and the guy you thought was the younger Greene's boyfriend. You made sure your seat has its back to Hershel, you were grateful he had helped Daryl but you didn't feel like talking to him or having him scold you or anything.

"Dad says he'll be alright," Maggie told you quietly.

"Yeah..." You nodded, giving her a grateful smile. "He's pretty banged up, though."

The only highlight of the tense dinner was when Glenn and Maggie began passing notes to each other under the table, not as subtly as Glenn probably thought he was being. Beth and you looked at each other, smirking.

Once dinner was over you helped clean the table and headed back to check on Daryl. Carol had gone to bring him some dinner and you arrived at the same time she walked out of the room.

"He's awake. Your dog won't leave his side." She told you.

"Probably he's begging him for food now and Daryl'll give him half his dinner." You couldn't help your small, fond smile.

"He has a good heart." Carol nodded, smiling, though her eyes watered. "Ended up like that looking for my little girl."

You reached out to take her hand. "He told us where he found the doll, we'll check it tomorrow."

"I don't want anyone else getting hurt on this search..." She said weakly, a tear sliding down her cheek.

"We won't. We'll be more careful. Promise."

Carol said nothing to that, she gave your hand a squeeze and walked away.

You walked into the room and saw Daryl propped up against the headboard with some pillows. On one side he had the trail with his dinner and at the other was Cole, to whom Daryl was giving some of the food. You shook your head, smiling. You knew it.

"How are you feeling?" You asked, sitting down next to Cole. Daryl shrugged. You knew he must be hurting but you felt he wouldn't say it aloud.

You stayed silent while he ate his dinner, wondering if you should leave him alone. Maybe he didn't want the company. When he finished his dinner you took the tray and got up to take it to the kitchen. "You should rest."

"I'm bored of it already." He grumbled.

"I could stay for a bit if you want." You offered tentatively. Daryl looked at you for a second before averting his eyes again and finally he nodded once. You left the tray on the bedside table and sat down on the bed. "I can gossip about Glenn and Maggie." Daryl shrugged and you didn't say anything else.

"What about them? "He finally said and you smirked.

"There's something going on between them. Pretty sure right now they're getting busy with each other in the barn."

"Hershel must be happy." Daryl and you chuckled quietly.

"I bet."

Silence fell between you two for a little while. Daryl shifted to lie down on the bed, wincing and letting out a soft whimper, and he curled onto his good side, his back to you. You bit your lip to stop yourself from asking him if he hurt. It was obvious he did and it would only make him grumpy.

"I dreamed with Merle," Daryl whispered. "I hallucinated him when I was out there. And now I dreamed with him, about when we were kids."

"Was it a good dream?" You asked softly.