13

Daryl had already known that something bad must have happened to Y/N's family, since he had found her alone and she had not only never said anything about trying to find her family but also she just never talked about them, not a word. Now that she had told him what had happened, it was worse than what Daryl had imagined.

He hated that Y/N'd had to go through something like that. It made his heart ache, but he didn't know what to say, how to comfort her, how to make it better. All he could do was hold her hand, though somehow it seemed to be enough, with the way in which Y/N smiled sadly to him. He had caressed her cheek to wipe her tears too, seeing her crying had almost made him physically hurt, and he even dared to kiss the tears away, trying to ignore the way in which it made his heart beat fast, it wasn't the moment for that.

She was silent now, holding his hand. Daryl was silent too, he still couldn't find words that felt right. Daryl turned his head to look at her and caught her staring at him, seeming in deep thought.

"What?" He asked, self-conscious, but Y/N just shook her head without saying anything, but she kept staring at him and Daryl began to fidget nervously under her gaze.

"I was just thinking...each day can be our last, can't it?" Y/N asked, playing with his fingers, and Daryl glanced at her, confused. Yes, they could die any day, but he didn't see the point on thinking about it. "I mean...we should live our life to the fullest, take advantage of the time we have here cos we don't know how long do we have." Daryl still didn't know what all that meant or why she was speaking like that. She must be sad for Dale, for the memories of her family, and he couldn't do anything to help. "So there's no point on letting fear or anything like that prevent us from doing what we want to, what we know will make us happy, or from waiting until it's too late, is it?"

Daryl could just keep staring at her in confusion, he didn't know what all that meant or why was she talking like that, and he was starting to feel like an idiot. Y/N seemed to notice and she gave him a soft smile. "You won't get it, will you?" Daryl shrugged uncomfortably and looked away, self-conscious and upset. He didn't know what was he supposed to get, she wasn't making sense. Maybe she was making fun of him in a way he couldn't understand, though he didn't think Y/N would do something like that. Still, all his insecurities began twirling inside his stomach.

Y/N reached out and cupped his face, making him look at her "I'm done waiting so if you don't want this stop me." She whispered, looking at his lips, and then she leaned closer. She was going to kiss him, she was going to kiss him and Daryl was frozen in place, his breath hitched on his throat and his heart began beating like crazy.

She stopped before her lips touched his, though, as if waiting for something, and then she pulled back to look at his face. If he hadn't been so driven by his insecurity and self-consciousness, Daryl might have seen she was waiting to see if he wanted her or not, since he was frozen without saying anything or moving, but at that moment Daryl could only feel like she was teasing him, playing with him, and it felt like a punch.

"I don't know what you think you're playing, woman, but I-" He began to snap, upset, but she cut him off by pressing her lips to his and Daryl lost his train of thoughts, forgetting everything that wasn't her and her lips on his.

Y/N didn't lose time, deepening the kiss when she saw he was more than willing, the hand that cupped his cheek pulling him closer. Daryl wrapped his arms around her, pulling her to him, needing her closer. Y/N tried to pull away way too soon and he captured her lips again, feeling her giggle against his lips before she pulled back.

"Guess you were tired of waiting too, uh? Could have said something..." She giggled quietly and Daryl felt nervous again, maybe she really was just teasing and playing him, but the way in which she was looking at him as her knuckles brushed his jaw almost took his breath away. "Should have kissed you again way sooner, then." She whispered before kissing him again, making some of Daryl's insecurities vanish like magic.