chapter thirty-one

A/N: Enjoy this beautiful song... just wait for the cue 😉

"There are cops everywhere," Rem mumbles as we sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

"At least they're taking Clem's disappearance seriously."

"So... what is your plan, Vange?" His glances at me, his dark eyes filled with curiosity. "Are we just gonna follow the police and hope they lead us to your sister?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I didn't think that far ahead."

"Then what are we doing?"

"We're doing something. We're not just sitting around and waiting for the so-called adults to figure it out, because if the last few months have taught me anything, it's that grown-ups don't always have the best intentions."

Rem nods his head and rests his hand over mine. "I get it, pretty girl, and I'm sorry."

His unwavering compassion fills my chest with guilt. I shouldn't have snapped at him. He's been nothing but understanding.

"Will you sing for me?" I ask, squeezing his fingers. "Please?"

"Uh, what do you want me to sing?"

"Anything. I just need a distraction before I get out of this car and start directing traffic myself."

Chuckling, he turns the radio on. To my relief, Nickelback doesn't start playing.

*play the song*

Instead, the slow acoustic intro of James Arthur's "Say You Won't Let Go" hums through the speakers. Rem takes a sip from his water bottle and begins to softly sing along.

"Louder," I say. "I can barely hear you. I want to hear you."

He rolls his chocolate brown eyes but obeys, anyway. His beautiful voice fills the car. Immediately, I feel the tension leave my body. He continues to sing, and by the time he reaches the chorus, I'm already swooning.

I knew I loved you then
But you'd never know
'Cause I played it cool
When I was scared of letting go
I know I needed you
But I never showed
But I wanna stay with you until we're grey and old
Just say you won't let go

Despite the circumstances with my grandpa and my sister and my piece-of-shit dad, I find myself smiling. For the first time in four days, I feel at ease. Peaceful, even.

And I owe it all to the boy next to me.

I close my eyes and allow Rem's voice to lull me to sleep, and when I awaken a half hour later, we're no longer stuck in a traffic jam on the highway. We're not even on the highway at all. We're pulled over on the side of a dirt road, red and blue lights flashing behind us.

"I wasn't speeding, I swear," Rem says once he notices that I'm awake.

"I believe you," I assure him, trying to steady my shaking hands.

Thirty minutes of quietude is all I get, apparently.

He rolls the window down as an officer approaches us. I let out an audible sigh of relief when Ambrose's face comes into view.

"Did you really think I wouldn't recognize your mother's car, boy?" He glares at his son. "Valerie called me. She told me you guys might be trying to interfere with the investigation."

"It's my fault, sir." I lean forward, flashing the most innocent smile I can muster. "I coerced him to help me."

He shakes his head, an exasperated expression on his face. "You two need to turn around and go home. Now."

"We will, Dad," Rem replies, frowning. He shoots me an apologetic glance, to which I caress his cheek in response. This isn't his fault. He's done so much for me already, and I don't want to get him into any more trouble.

As I am about to give up, give in, and go home, half a dozen police cruisers whiz past us. They stop at the rundown motel up the street and get out of their cars, guns in hand.

I'm not an athlete, but the motel is less than half a mile up the road. I could get there in less than five minutes if I pushed myself.

Fuck it.

Next thing I know, I'm unbuckling my seatbelt and bolting out of the car. Rem and Ambrose scream after me, but their voices are soon drowned out by the sound of sirens.

My feet smack against the ground as I run faster than I ever have. I know Ambrose and Rem are on my tail, but I don't dare turn around. I keep going, pushing myself to a nonexistent limit. I have to get to that motel.

I have to get to my sister.

I skid to a stop when I reach my destination. Lit up cruisers surround the building as cops survey the area. I stay in the shadows, grateful for the moonless sky. They can't see me, but I can see them.

The motel is small. There is only one floor and five rooms. Next to each door is a single picture window, concealed by a thick, dark curtain.

I catch faint movement in one of the windows. The shade moves, but just barely, and a tiny face appears.

It's Clem. It's my sister.

I sprint forward, abandoning my hiding spot and revealing myself to the police. All six of them come at me, their weapons raised.

I have multiple guns pointed at me, yet all I can think about is inside that damn motel room. I don't know if I'm brave or just plain crazy.

"Stop and put your hands in the air!" one of the officers yells.

"My sister is in here!" I shout, banging on the glass. The curtain shifts, and I see her again, terrified and crying.

"Clem, open the door!" I plead. "Please, baby, just open the door!"

The door is opened, but not by Clem. A hooded figure yanks me into the room and slams the door behind us, locking it with an audible click.

Predictions?

Don't forget to tap that star before you leave⭐️⭐️