chapter thirty-four

A/N: Happy birthday to Alwyn_Knighton ! This chapter is dedicated to her❣️
Oh, and enjoy the song... just wait for the cue. You know the drill.

TWO MONTHS LATER

"Vange, your phone's buzzing!" Kira yells, nearly dropping the curling iron in her hand.

"That's just my alarm." I stop the bothersome noise and pop two pills in my mouth—my Zoloft and my birth control. After taking a large gulp of water, I ask, "Will you help me with my hair once you're done?"

She nods her head as she twists a strand of her blonde mane around the metal wand, flinching when the hot device burns her wrist for the third time this afternoon.

Chuckling, I apply another coat of mascara and add some blush to my cheeks. Once I'm satisfied with my makeup, I strip off my sweat pants and take my dress out of the closet.

I never thought I'd be excited for the silly rite of passage that is prom night, but here I am.

After the year from hell, I'm looking forward to putting on a pretty dress and dancing with my best friend and the boy I love. For one night, I don't want to think about antidepressants or therapy or my catalogue of daddy issues. Until the clock strikes twelve, I'm Cinderella, and I came prepared with ballet flats instead of pesky glass slippers.

No one is ruining this night for me. No. One.

My prom dress is emerald green with halter straps and gold embroidery on the bodice. With a tight waist and a bouffant skirt, I feel like a real-life Disney princess.

Kira's gown is made of light pink silk that clings to her body like a second skin. The lack of straps flaunts her prominent collarbones and slender neck. With silver hoop earrings and a rose quartz necklace, she looks like a model on a magazine cover.

Once we're both dressed and ready to go, my grandparents and Kira's mom take enough photos to plaster every street in Chicago with our disgruntled faces. I let out an audible sigh of relief when Rem's Mustang pulls into the driveway, coming to rescue the damsels in distress at last. 

When he steps out of the car, my jaw drops. In a sleek black suit, green dress shirt, and golden bow tie, he looks like Prince Charming. My only qualm is that his dark curls have been combed back. I make a mental note to mess them up later.

"You look stunning," he says once he lays eyes on me. He doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms around my waist and press his lips against mine.

"You look pretty handsome yourself," I whisper, inhaling the familiar scent of tobacco and sandalwood. He promised he'd quit smoking once we moved to New York, but until then, I'm going to enjoy the second-hand smell.

We take another round of pictures, this time with Rem. We cover all of the traditional poses and then a few original ones. Once the adults are satisfied, we get into Rem's Mustang and drive to West Side High, where our senior prom awaits.

<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

"I feel like I've entered a whole other world," Kira murmurs as we walk into what used to be our gymnasium. Now, with strings of golden lights and sparkly banners, it looks like something out of a fairytale.

"It's beautiful," I agree, admiring the decorations. It reminds me of the park Rem took me to the night he asked me to be his girlfriend.

"Would you ladies like a drink?" Rem questions Kira and me, gesturing to the refreshment table across the room. "We might be able to get to the punch bowl before it's spiked."