epilogue

FOUR YEARS LATER

I run my fingers over the silky material of the light blue graduation robe before hanging it back up in the closet. Flashing a triumphant smile, I slide the door shut and join Rem in the living room, where he's practicing for his final performance at Juilliard.

We're graduating college in a few days. I still can't believe it.

The past four years have flown by. Between our studies and having to work multiple jobs just to afford our apartment, we've barely had time to breathe. There were weeks when the only thing Rem and I did together was sleep. Someone once told me that being a university student was easy. I'm assuming they never actually attended university, because there is nothing easy about it.

I grab my purse off the island countertop, fetch a water bottle from the fridge, and turn to Rem, who has abandoned his spot in front of the keyboard.

"You heading out?" he asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah, I have that meeting, remember?"

He rolls his dark eyes. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you? I'd feel more comfortable if you weren't alone with him."

"I'll be fine," I assure my concerned boyfriend. "I'll call you when I'm done, okay? I have a surprise for you later."

"A surprise, huh?" His lips meet mine in a long, lingering kiss. "I'm looking forward to it. I love you, pretty girl."

"I love you more." With a wink, I exit our apartment and make my way to the subway station.

Twenty minutes later, I'm standing in front of a large, boxy building made of tan concrete. I walk inside, tell the lady at the front desk my name, and follow her through a set of thick double doors. She quickly pats me down before handing me a sticker with the word "visitor" on it.

"Put that on," she instructs me. "You have one hour. If you wish to end the visit sooner, just knock on the door and a guard will let you out."

Nodding my head, I follow her down a narrow hallway. She scans a keycard, and an electrically-powered door swings open, revealing a poorly lit room with gray walls and too much plexiglass.

Other than the men standing guard, I'm all alone. I take a seat in one of the chairs and bring the phone to my ear.

My stomach is in knots as I wait for his arrival. I take a slow, deep breath.

I'll be okay. I always am.

Moments later, there's someone sitting across from me on the other side of the glass barrier. Beaming, he picks up his own phone.

"Evangeline," he whispers, "I'm so glad you came."

I remain straight-faced. I won't give him the satisfaction of a smile. "Why did you want to see me?" I ask.

"Why? Well, because I miss you."

Shaking my head, I say, "I wish I could say the same, Benson, but I can't."

He lets out a sigh before placing his palm on the plexiglass, his fingers spread out. "Vange," he murmurs, "I'm gonna be in here for a long time, but not forever. When I get out, I want to have some kind of—"

"Relationship?" I scoff. "Don't kid yourself. You and I will never have a relationship."

His lips curl into a frown. "Anyway, um, how's school? You're graduating soon, right?"

"In five days, yeah."

"That's awesome. Congratulations."

I nod my head, unsure of what to say. I'm tempted to just end the visit now.

"I saw that Columbia published one of your stories," he goes on. "The one about Angel and her dad."

"It's not my best piece. It needs some editing."

"Well, I loved it, especially how Angel forgave Brendon at the end."

"You would like that part," I mutter. Louder, I add, "When I go through and revise the story, I'll probably change the ending. Angel is too naive. She's an unrealistic character."

His dark eyes flicker with hurt. "Do you think that making her cynical and jaded will be better?"

"Not everyone is worthy of forgiveness," I snap. "Not Brendon, and certainly not you."

I put the phone back on the mount and rise to my feet. After a guard lets me out of the gloomy chamber, I run down the narrow hall and back outside, grateful for the sunshine and the mild spring breeze.

I call Dr. Gordon, my psychiatrist, and arrange an emergency meeting for later this afternoon. I've come too far to let Benson set me back.

While I believe that anyone can change, some people refuse to try. As much as I wanted to think that Benson was worthy of redemption, he isn't. He likely never will be.

But that's okay. For once, the law worked in our favor. He'll be in prison for a long time. Finally, my mother and the other women he hurt are getting the justice they deserve.

Maybe if this had happened twenty years ago, my mom would still be alive.

I rest my hand over my still-flat stomach, smiling down at the little bean growing inside of me. Tonight, after a candle-lit dinner, I'm surprising Rem with the good news. Baby Williams is due on the thirteenth of December, the same day my mom died.

If it's a girl, perhaps we'll name her Raelyn.

THE END