Look At Me

Disclaimer: None of the art is mine. Full credits go to the artists. All the characters are owned by Haruichi Furudate. Author-chan out!

What should I do?

Suga's mind blurred.

He made his choice.

"Yes," Koushi whispered. "Please, Daichi. I want out."

"Then let's go," Daichi replied. He put a gentle arm around Sugawara's shoulders. He didn't back away.

They walked out together. Suga led them to Daishou, who was the current bartender. He took a deep breath and told Daishou he was quitting.

Daishou stared. He glared at Sawamura and opened his mouth to speak, but Koushi cut him off. "Don't try to stop me. I know what I'm doing. You can find someone else to take my place. I'm leaving, now. Goodbye." He sounded confident, but his death grip on Daichi's hand said otherwise. He's probably had to become an actor in everyday life just to survive here, the wing spiker realized.

Sawamura tightened his grip on Suga's shoulders. He stared straight at Daishou, daring him to speak. Then he turned and walked away, holding the silver haired male closely. But gently. For Suga, who had been hurt so much, he would always be gentle.

They walked outside. Tanaka and Nishinoya, who hadn't recognized the stripper as their mama crow in the dim light, gaped at them. They started to speak.

"Not. Now." Lightning crackled in Daichi's eyes. The second years had thought they'd seen their captain upset before, but this was something else entirely.

Tanaka and Noya got the hint and shut up. They climbed into the back of the car in silence.

Daichi carefully walked Suga to the passenger door. He opened the door for him and tried to let go of the silver haired male so he could climb in the driver's seat.

Tried.

Koushi clung on so tight, there was no letting go. Nor, after all they had been through, did Sawamura really want to let go. So he picked him up bridal style, walked to the driver's seat, and sat him in the passenger's seat from across the car. Keeping one arm around his crush's shoulders, he sat down in the driver's seat.

The drive home was long and silent. Daichi knew very well that Tanaka and Noya were dying to know what was going on, but he also did not give a damn. Now was not the time. Not with Suga so fragile.

He dropped Tanaka and Noya off at their homes. Suga stirred.

"Daichi, where are we going?"

"To my house. You can stay with me."

"No, you don't want that," Koushi mumbled, lowering his head. "Don't waste your time on me, Daichi. I'm not worth it."

The wing spiker swerved so hard he almost drove off the road. He hurriedly parked the car on a shoulder and turned to face the setter.

"Suga, what are you talking about? You are worth everything."

"Look at me, Daichi! I'm- I'm a prostitute, for heaven's sake!" Koushi yelled. His voice dropped to near silence. He buried his face in his hands. "How can you even stand to look at me?"

Daichi put his fingers under Suga's chin and made him look up.

"Suga. You've been through things I can't even imagine these past weeks. Yet you're still standing there, yourself." He paused. "I can look at you because you're Sugawara Koushi. You're strong, you're beautiful, you're incredible. You're always there for me, whether it's to set my spike or help me deal with the team. You're my teammate, my partner, my other half." His face burned, but he didn't stop.

"I want to look at you, Suga. Always. I can't be me without you." Tears ran down their faces. "It's been hell without you," Sawamura admitted.

Slowly, tentatively, Daichi reached forward. He wiped a tear from Suga's cheek. He didn't flinch away.

"Daichi…" Koushi whispered. "I love you."

The captain cupped Suga's angelic face with his hand. "I love you too."

And there in that car, for the first time in weeks, a real smile bloomed on Sugawara's face.