Chapter I: Tainted

Initially, Link mourns.

When news is delivered to Princess Zelda of the Champions' revival, she doesn't believe it. After all, they're dead. There isn't any reason for their souls to have been revived, and, yet, they have.

The first to prove their revival is Revali, who is exceptionally gracious to the Princess, while––despite everything––still holds Link with the same contempt as before. However, Revali at least acknowledges all Link has done, if only he had woken up sooner.

Days later, Princess Zelda bursts into tears when Urbosa visits, unannounced. Zelda gasps as if all the oxygen has been snatched from her lungs. Her face goes disturbingly pale, and this horrid pain drowns her eyes; this locked agony clicks open, and Zelda is a flood of grief.

'––I'm sorry.'

Sorry she failed; failed not just the Champions, but the whole of Hyrule. Sorry she let them down, sorry they had to die; sorry she couldn't live up to what was expected of her. The fact each Champion tried, and Zelda could do nothing. She is sorry it took her so long.

What fondness and love Zelda holds for Urbosa, Link hadn't realised. Or, more accurately, couldn't remember. Despite his efforts to recollect his memory, there is just so much missing; a significant amount he may never be given back. It makes him appear cold, distant and almost impolite.

But he knows so much of his memory has been forgotten. He knows because of how it makes him feel: lost. Depressed, even. That these people he once knew, some he may have once loved he isn't sure, and yet he hasn't the slightest idea of who they are.

What they had done together, spoken about together, saw of each other––gone.

It only made him hate Calamity all the more. All this joy, stolen from him.

Princess Zelda and Urbosa spend a great deal of time together when she arrives. Urbosa assures Link she will protect the Princess while they discuss in private. In other words, he is not privy to the conversation––not yet, anyway. Zelda simply needs to talk to somebody, and Urbosa is easily the closest mother figure she has.

But, before departing from Link, Urbosa turns back to him.

'Now that I think about it, perhaps you should visit Zora's Domain. The Zora Princess may wish to see you.' She shrugs, 'You two were close, right?'

Link looks at Zelda, whose expression has hardened somewhat.

To his surprise, though, Zelda acknowledges Urbosa's suggestion.

'If you like, Link, you can go. I don't mind.'

It is an odd mix of emotions Link is currently enduring. What memories he has of Lady Mipha are few, and even those memories are quite hazy. All he has to hold onto is the fact she meant something to him once.

The first time, after he woke up, when he saw her statue, Link had never felt anything so brutal.

This overwhelming shock, close to horror, knowing she was special to him, but he can't remember how or why.

The fact Mipha has also been revived, it should make Link happy, he knows that. But instead, he feels sick. Scared. Urbosa, too, is aware of the friendship he and Mipha shared, but Link can't recall.

He may as well be going to visit a complete stranger. Yet, this nostalgic sensation, this fear, whatever it is, is very similar to excitement. A thunderous shock. His heart is racing, cheeks flushed, and he considers holding back for now. Link is scared more of these painful emotions may reoccur when he sees her, alive.