Chapter X: Hers

Link does just that: he goes to her.

It's a strange, puzzling feeling. Deep down, he knows Zelda was being honest. She wants her own destiny, to start again, and in doing so, Zelda released Link from his chains.

This duty, Zelda's Champion –– everything he has ever wanted. Desperate to follow in his late father's footsteps, he chose this path for a reason. And, the legend is always the same. A boy, clad in green, saves the Hylian Princess, and, together, they reign. That is the legend he has been told.

Were there Champions in the past who turned to another life? Who sought somebody else? Are there legends of a Hero who served his duty, and walked away? Perhaps, this time around, it is supposed to be different.

Link follows Zelda into the main hall, and immediately the Princess attends to her visitors. And Link walks straight by her. He doesn't look back once. Zelda doesn't acknowledge his departure. He's already gone, and she accepted that months ago.

Heart in his mouth, Link steps outside of the Castle and waits patiently. There are various things he wants to say, wants to ask her. It's been so long, Link is actually anxious. Which says a lot, considering the amount he's had to endure.

Various tribes have respected Princess Zelda's invitation, arriving at the Castle gates. There's an odd calm in the air. One year since Calamity Ganon's defeat. One year of peace. It's not much, but it's a start, and it's the first time Link has witnessed Hyrule so relaxed.

His body and face reveal the trauma and tragedy of what happened one hundred years ago. His skin scarred, a heavy, powerful thunder in his eyes showing just how much he suffered. Those he killed, those he lost, and those he brought back.

Of course, Link is destined to be a warrior. That won't change. However, where he chooses to reside, where he chooses to call home, and who he chooses to stand by––that is now down to him. Zelda will not call for him, not ask for him; what once was has moved on. The two of them demand a bigger, more fulfilling picture. No more blood, no more deaths.

Just life.

Both Zora Royals arrive, and, despite Link's concerns, Sidon doesn't present any signs of hostility or suspicion. It has been a while since they last met, but Sidon appears thrilled to see him. Grabbing Link's hand, he grins wide.

'It's good to see you. I was beginning to wonder if you would be here, but––' he turns to the Castle's entrance, glancing at Zelda '––of course, where else would I find you?'

Link's gaze drops to Mipha beside him, and his breath catches. If she is feeling like him, then she hides it well, because instead of the panic flurry Link is going through, she appears tranquil.

The amount of time they've spent apart has been a challenge, but––

It's really so lovely to see her.

'Hello, Link.'

Fortunately Sidon detects the atmosphere between them, and excuses himself.

Link steps towards Mipha, heart racing. The first thing he wants to do is ask how she is, has she missed him at all, how's the Domain coping? He wants to know just how much he has missed.

But nothing happens. He can't speak.

He isn't sure if it's excitement or nerves, or both.

'You look well.'

'You, too.'

Link clenches a fist. This small-talk is driving him crazy, and he doesn't understand why he hasn't got straight to the point yet. Where to start? And how should he word his dismissal?