Chapter 12

A few days later, came Messi's birthday. Due to some confusion, no one went to his place at midnight except John. Jack and Leo, who had planned to go at midnight, had been waiting for John but they couldn't get in touch with him while the rest of the group was busy. The next day, Messi was disappointed with his group as they hadn't come to wish him. The group except Messi collected at John's house. Jack, who was a little mad about yesterday because of the confusion, confronted the whole group about not coming last night.

They all talked it out and sorted it. Then later in the evening, they went to Messi's place with a really sweet birthday gift. It was a unique photo frame which from afar looked like their group picture, but when you took a closer look it was a collection of many small pictures of all of them. All anger and sadness were put aside and everyone managed to enjoy the birthday.

In September, as Novenas were coming to an end, the youth group had planned a sort of a funfair for the younger kids. They had organized games and all kinds of fun activities. Jenny wished to talk to Jack but he had been distancing himself from her so she approached Alisha. Alisha convinced Jack to at least talk to her and so he agreed. He met her behind the stage, taking John as company. She burst into tears and confessed her love for him. She understood that he was dating someone and that it wouldn’t be possible but she just wanted him to know that she would always be there for him.

Alisha warned him not to mess up his relationship with Nayo and he heeded her advice. He turned down Jenny lightly, took some pictures with her as requested by her, and they all continued with their day. During Novena week they each prayed for their respective wishes. Jack prayed for the gang, Ash prayed for his family and his beautiful Selene, Alisha prayed for her family. John and Leo mostly used to hang around near the church waiting for the rest of the group. Some rare times during the week even the whole group used to stay outside the church but Alice Ma’am used to herd them back into the church.

Bandra Fair, one of the most highly coveted celebrations, which takes place as soon as Novenas week comes to an end, was finally here. It was a Fair important to adults as well as kids. People would come from far and near to pray at the Mount Mary church and explore the different stalls set up near the church. There were toys for kids, snacks, books, and if one needed to get away from the crowd, Bandstand along with the calm sea was right across the street. The group always made plans but never actually went for the fair together.

Last year, John and Jack went together while Ash went with his college friends. This year, it was the same story. Ash and Alisha each went with their college friends while John went with Myra. Jack went with his childhood friends the first time and then with his family. Naisha, who was counting on the group plans, gave Jack an earful for not informing them that he went twice. Their plans were like the bachelor Goa plans. They rarely happened.