Where We Belong

Chapter 1: Where We Belong

"All of you suck. Like majorly." JJ complained, lounging upside down on the hammock. No one knew what the boy was on about as he'd thrown the statement out with absolutely no context. 

"What the hell are you on about, J?" The boy's sister questioned, busy flipping burgers on the old grill. The slightly rusted hunk of metal had been passed down from Heyward a year and a half ago and resided at the Routledge Chateau, aka where they all currently were. 

"No one wants to go skinny dipping. Who doesn't want to skinny dip? Pussies, that's who." 

Taking a drink of her beer, CJ's response was cut off by an amused John B. "No, it's 'cause no one wants to see your white ass, JJ." Chuckling, the boy threw a piece of popcorn at his friend before continuing to snack on the rest. 

"Are you kiddin' me? People would pay to see my ass. My toned, tanned ass. You're just jealous." He stated, swinging up to lay down on the hammock normally. His head swam for a moment due to all the blood that had rushed to his brain, but he easily ignored it. 

Walking over, Pope and Kie joined the group, both carrying various ingredients for their dinner. Kie had managed to convince her dad to give them some things while Pope inconspicuously snagged some condiments from home. The two had been busy in the kitchen cutting up vegetables and making macaroni salad. 

"JJ, man, that means you tan naked." 

"So? Don't judge what you don't understand, bro. Ladies love a man without tan lines." He told Pope, wiggling his eyebrows before taking a sip of his Pabst. From a yard or so away, his sister gagged and shook her head. 

"Can we not talk about your nightly activities? I think I might puke." 

"Who said they were only nightly?" 

"Dear God, don't puke on the food." 

Two different responses came, one from JJ and one from John B. Both made her turn to look at them incredulously before she scoffed and turned to the last two of their group. Pope was busy pointing at John B in agreement, juggling condiments, while Kie held her gaze, eyes full of amusement as she shook her head. 

Shaking her head back, CJ couldn't hide the minor amusement she felt as well. Without needing to point it out, the teenagers brought the food to the picnic table placed next to her while she threw cheese on the first batch of burgers. God knew she'd have to at least make a second one for JJ, that kid devoured food. It probably had something to do with the fact that they rarely had any in their house. 

While she finished off the burgers, Kie laid out buns and started loading them how everyone always liked them. When they had the works, at least. Pope was easy, mayo with a slice of tomato and ketchup on top. John B liked his with mayo and hot sauce, tomato, and onion topped with ketchup. JJ was the same way. Kie and CJ took theirs the same way as well; tomato, onion, and lettuce with mayo and ketchup. The only difference was CJ liked hot sauce on hers. 

Macaroni salad was piled onto the plates; all except Pope's who stole John B's SkinyPop in replacement. The boy complained for a moment but when CJ shoved a plate in his hands with an amused teasing look, he took it with a dumb look on his face, following her movements toward JJ with lovesick eyes. JJ took his food with a pleased smirk, raising his hands in praise toward his barely younger sister.

While the two dug into their food animalistically, CJ shaking her head fondly, Pope and Kie ate more timidly. CJ took a moment to turn off and close the grill before picking up her own food. No one wanted a repeat of the night JJ drunkenly stumbled into the still hot metal.