The Polo Pussies

Chapter 11: The Polo Pussies

Beautiful gif is the work of WILDFLOWERLUKE !

~SiriusCatBennett

⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈⎈

"Pope, I love you, but I just got done working for seven hours, so can you please calm the hell down? We're fine."

It was July fifth, the day of the annual summer movie screening. The field was in between Figure Eight and the Cut, more so on the Kook's side, but more Pogues usually showed up. Especially the summers like this one when they didn't have any power. None of them were super up for it this year, but Kie reminded them it was tradition and dragged them out of the house. Said teenager was walking back toward the group with her bag slung over her shoulder.

"I'm so glad they're still doing this. Everyone needs a day off."

It was true, half of the people lounging on the grass had been working their asses off to clean up after Agatha. As long as the movie selection was good this year, it would definitely help. Pope, however, was extremely anxious about being away from the safety of The Cut.

"Aren't you guys glad I made you come?"

"Ecstatic."

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest."

Pope's sarcasm was palpable and CJ knew her brother was irked that he'd been pulled away from his lounge time. Personally, she agreed. She'd been perfectly content swaying from side to side in the hammock, waiting for John B to get home so they could go fish. She'd only been home for half an hour before Kie showed up.

"We're out of the green zone, man." Pope hissed in JJ's direction when Kie wandered to the food stand.

"Dude, tranquilo, okay?"

"We're in the middle of Kooklandia." The boy replied, looking between them tensely. "This is the last place I wanted to be."

"If you two don't shut up, I will go home and leave you here to deal with Kie by yourselves."

CJ knew she would never do that. Kie would be upset the whole night that her best friend took off, the boys would have to deal with the aftermath, and the most important reason: Topper and co. were glaring at them like they were able to burn the Pogues on the spot. But it made the two shut up for the moment.

Taking advantage of the silence, CJ set up the blanket she and JJ used every year they came here. Two more small pullovers were laid on top of it in case it got cold and they needed to cover up. Following almost robotically, Pope adjusted his lawn chair how he liked while JJ plopped a red cooler in between the chair and blankets. All of them sank into their seats, JJ pulling out the Juul to hit lightly.

"Just saw Rafe," Kie started, voice high pitched in condescension, "and he said, and I quote, 'Tell your boy that we know what he did.' What is that?"

Sighing, CJ folded over herself, pressing her head to her shins. She sprang up when her evil twin brother pressed an ice-cold Pepsi to her exposed mid-drift, glaring at him. All she got in return was a cheeky smile and mischievous eyes.

"Umm, so- uh..."

"We'll tell you later." CJ mumbled out, leaning so she could see her friend properly. This was so not the place to talk about it. "Where is he?"

CJ hadn't seen Rafe when Topper and Kelce were glaring at them. "Right there."

Casually twisting her head, Pope was much less subtle as he abruptly twirled around in his chair. Indeed, there were the three stooges, all holding blue paper cups. Eventually, when Pope had been staring too long, JJ grabbed him by the top of his head and turned him back around with a 'don't stare, bro.'