Change of Pace

Echo

My body was stiff.My heart was the only thing that seemed to have as sense of motion. It hammered by bare chest as if trying to force it's way out and run away from this embarrassment. I watched as his piercing grey eyes scan my body,my innards,my soul. Then a rush of water rained from the showers on the ceiling.My hands dropped down to my side immediately as it came out from it's chains of shock.

I tried to push away the hammering from my heart and continued washing myself. I shouldn't feel this embarrassed.It should be normal for me,but it isn't ..

The other dwellers usually bathe together.But I usually bathe by myself,even on the scheduled days.Why is he here? Am I standing on his square? Isn't he going to play 'Hide and Seek'?

The water shut off and a towel dropped down onto my head.I quickly grabbed it and covered myself running into the changing room.I stopped in front of the shelves,nearly every slot was empty except mine which still held my assigned clothing,placed there in the morning.I stood there,

thump

thump

THUMP

The silence enveloped me in growing curiosity. I heard nothing from the bathrooms,he did not go there to shower.Is it possible he was waiting for me? Is he standing right outside?

I hastily pulled on the clothing-a grey t-shirt,black shorts,brown ankle high leather boots and bolted out the door.

"Wait!" I heard him shout,his voice filled with hope and curiosity.

I stopped and I felt him swerve around me to a stop.

"Why are you following me?" My head was facing the ground.If I were to look up,only with my eyes,I would be staring at his chest.I never realized he was this tall.

"Can I..." He hesitated and I looked up at him.

He stared back at me determined to finish saying his request.

"Can I hang out with you today?"