Chapter V

A frown comes to her face when she sees Robb twirling a strand of Mona Umber's dark hair around his finger on the other side of the table

A frown comes to her face when she sees Robb twirling a strand of Mona Umber's dark hair around his finger on the other side of the table. She looks to her son in an attempt to calm herself and starts feeding him small pieces of the meat they've been served.

It doesn't matter, she tells herself, it's only for a few more days. The girl will only be here for a few more nights, before she continues her journey further North back home after fostering with the Manderlys in White Harbor. She can only hope that Robb will not take her maidenhead and leave them in a struggle with the Greatjon.

Yet, she can't keep the nerves from getting to her as she tries to ignore her husband's blatant flirting. With that in mind, she takes Artos into her arms and Leila's hand into her own and strides away from the dining hall to the nursery, to tend to Alia who is fighting off a chill.

She shouldn't be so worried, she tells herself as she paces the nursery with Alia in her arms. She has already given Robb a son and two daughters, she cannot be displaced, her children's inheritance can't be stolen from them. But, still, she worries.

Because she can tolerate her husband going to the whorehouses and bedding the serving girls, but that is completely different from desiring a bannerman's daughter. The Umbers had considerable power and if Robb dishonored their only daughter, the Greatjon would seek reparations for it and that could easily mean marriage. While she may have given birth to a son, the knowledge of the toll it took on her body had not been contained to Winterfell and most of the North's Ealdormen knew what it had meant in the long run. They also knew of the Martells issues with fertility, of the amount of siblings her father lost in the cradle or before they could live. Whispers ran amok of how Alia was plagued by the same weakness her aunt fought all her life. As such, many were just holding their breaths for a missive saying one of her children had died. And she was not naive enough to think that some would not hope she would die the next time she took to the birthing bed, so their daughter or sister could step up and replace her.

They had not been keen to accept their as their future liege lady, the ghosts of the rebellion being too fresh even after more than a decade. There was the matter of the broken betrothal between Lord Stark and the Lady Ashara, who was her own distant kin. There is Jon, with all the Stark coloring possible and having been born in Dorne. There is the fact that her aunt was slighted by her husband spiriting away her own husband's aunt.

There are too many ghosts that threaten to make her position even more fragile than it already is and the thought of adding another problem to it makes her want to scream.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Two days later, Vitoria got to her feet when she saw the smoke coming from the library, running through the halls, barking orders until she found Rena and Robb.

"What happened?" she panted, out of breath as she leaned against one of the walls.

"I was there," Rena admitted, "But I was the only one. I didn't hear anything until I -"