Chapter VIII

Knocking on the chamber door, Maester Luwin didn't waste a moment before he entered the room and closed the door swiftly behind him; his hands clutching at the letter that had just arrived knowing that Robb would want to see it

"I am sorry to disturb you my Lady," Maester Luwin murmured, moving towards the bed, he hadn't meant to disturb her but this couldn't wait. He had hoped to find Robb with her in the nursery, since he was not at the hall, but he still was not there and he could not ignore the lady of the castle.

She sighed running her fingers through Alia's hair, while she opened her spare hand.

"Urgent news from King's Landing," Maester Luwin insisted, handing over the letter that he had just received.

Vitoria waved her hand, dismissing him as she read the letter. Her stomach churned as she read the words, taking a few deep breaths before setting down her daughter and leaving the nursery.

Her husband had to read this.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Robb,

I write to you with a heavy heart. You have been summoned to King's Landing to bend the knee and pledge your fealty to the new king, Joffrey Baratheon, First of His Name.

The late King Robert was fatally wounded in a boar hunt and has passed his crown to his beloved son with his wife serving as the Queen Mother until their son has a better grasp upon his kingship. The new king has summoned you to bend the knee and pay your respects; he also asks for you to bring Vitoria and your children, so your wife can also plead her allegiance as a Martell and a Stark both and the realm can see the southernmost kingdom united with the North.

Our father, Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell, has been imprisoned for plotting against Robert Baratheon and his heirs in an attempt to take the throne for himself. I beseech you to ride South and prove the North's loyalty to the Iron Throne.

Father is in the dungeons, awaiting his trial because he conspired with the king's brothers to steal the throne. I am being given every comfort by the Lannisters, but brother I beseech you to ride South to swear fealty.

Your beloved sister,

Sansa

Robb crumpled the letter in his hand and swore. "What in the seven hells had my father been thinking?! What could he have possibly done to piss off the Lannisters so much?"

"He probably discovered a truth they'd rather keep hidden," Vitoria said gently. "Or, they had something to do with Lord Arryn's death." She pressed a kiss to his curls. "They are Cersei's words in Sansa's hand. Those final words about how they have been treating her are a threat."

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. His father had no idea when to keep secrets and when to tell them. It was sad to think that he probably knew more about how to play the game than his father. But, after all, his father did not have a wife who was dornish, a wife who had a fervent hate for the Lannisters and the Baratheons for the murder of her aunt and cousins.