Chapter XII

Blood

Blood. There was so much blood.

Lexa could only watch in horror as Vitoria twisted in pain on the bed. Vitoria had done her duty as was expected of her by the rest of the Seven Kingdoms. She'd been declared with child not two moons after marrying Robb Stark and had given birth, to two beautiful little girls. The maester had declared her healthy and that it was safe for her to conceive and three moons after giving birth, Vitoria had been declared with child again, yet it was not meant to be. Before she had even had a chance to rise her child pains began, and her ladies had been in a panic since. Moments like these were times when Lexa wished Ellaria had not returned to Sunspear after the twins' birth. Lexa had expected to be at Starfall, visiting her uncle and cousin when Vitoria had her next child. Vitoria hadn't been lucky. Her leave had still been two or three months away, but apparently the Gods had another plan.

"Rena, please fetch me another wet cloth. Hurry!" Lexa passed a blood soaked cloth to Luna as Rena passed her a fresh one.

Arianne held Vitoria's hands, whispering encouragement. Her friend's shrill shrieks deafened Lexa to point where she found it hard to focus, causing her to rely more on Rena, the daughter of a midwife from the Eyrie.

"I can take care of the princess, if I may," Rena murmured.

Lexa gratefully nodded, and Rena took her place beside Vitoria. With another shriek from Vitoria, the babe was in Rena's hands, silent and male. Lexa put her hand over her mouth to hold in a scream of horror. Vitoria lay back, silent from pain. The room itself seemed to hold it's breath as Rena used a dry cloth to rub the body in an effort to revive the child. Lexa took the cloth from her and began rubbing the tiny babe's body herself.

Rena shook her head. "It is no use," She whispered.. "he was born too early."

A cracked voice spoke. "Lexa, let me see my child."

Lexa sighed as she wrapped the child and picked him up in her arms. Vitoria sat up, with some assistance from Arianne and looked over the underdeveloped babe in Lexa's arms.

Her dark eyes stared blankly at her child, and then at Lexa. "It was a boy? Wasn't it?"

"Aye, it was a boy, my lady." Lexa nodded.

Vitoria spoke in Rhoynish so that only Lexa and Arianne would understand. "He is going to kill me. I lost a son. He is going to murder me."

Her voice cracked, and she broke out into a sob. Lexa could only watch helplessly as she cradled the babe in her arms. Having only spent five moons in his mother's womb, the babe was painfully small with some of its body not fully developed.

Lexa saw Arianne turn to her trusted second in command. "Rena, stay here and comfort Vitoria, the rest of the ladies and I will take care of everything else, understand?"