Chapter 4 - The Meeting

August 22, 1998

Alex yawned, running a hand through her hair. It was 3:00 in the morning and the streets were empty. It could have something to do with heavy downpour that had been plaguing Raccoon for three days, or it might have something to do with the recent murders. Kent had reassured her that there was nothing to worry about that everything was going fine at the labs. That did not make her feel better about the whole situation. Nor did she feel very good about the meeting she was currently driving to. Despite her orders to watch the remaining S.T.A.R.S. members, she had little doubt that meeting with Chris in the early hours of the morning wasn't part of her assignment....

--

Chris brushed aside the curtains. The street was empty, no sign of Alex. The rain had picked up about an hour ago, turning from a clod drizzle into a freezing downpour. Absently, Chris hoped Alex was being carful...in case the roads were slick.

"Do you really think she's going to show up?" Jill asked, from the couch. "I mean, she does work for Umbrella."

"I hope she does." Chris sighed, as he let the curtains fall back into place. "She's been hanging around the station for what...over a week now?"

Jill nodded, returning her attention to a magazine laying in her lap. Chris had his suspicions about why Alex had been hanging around the station. He assumed she'd been sent by her employers to keep an eye on them. She got one helluva show, that was for sure.

Chris had been sent on a leave of absence as of the 15th, for continuing to rail against Umbrella. Though he doubted popping Irons in the mouth during a press conference helped his career any. Not that it mattered much, he'd be leaving in a day or two and he needed Alex's help. That's if he could convince her to abandon her position with Umbrella.

The sound of a car pulling into his driveway made him stiffen. His hand slipped behind his back to clutch the 9mm he'd started carrying on him since the Spencer Incident. He pushed the curtains aside and relaxed slightly as Alex climbed out of her Buick and walked slowly toward the door. A second later, a soft yet firm, knock echoed in the small living room. Jill glanced up from her magazine, eyes darting to the front door. Barry inched out of the kitchen, his magnum clutched loosely in his hand. Chris walked to the door and pulled it open. Alex greeted him with a smile, water running down her face and her long black coat. They stood there, staring at each other for several seconds. Chris noticed she was wearing her sunglasses, despite the darkness outside. Alex cocked her head, her wet hair flopping lifelessly against her face.

"Can I come in, or do you intend to drown me out here?"

"Sorry, come in." Chris stepped aside. Alex flashed him a second smile and stepped into the living room. Her mood darkened slightly as she finally noticed Barry and Jill.

"Didn't know it was going to be a party."

"More like a meeting.", Jill said coolly, relaxing her grip on the berretta on her lap. "An important one."

Alex shrugged, pulling off her jacket. She looked around for a moment, before dropping it on a chair near the door. She wiped her wet hands on her jeans and flopped down in one of the chairs. Barry tucked his magnum behind his back and sat down next to Jill on the couch. Chris didn't miss the small bulge at Alex's side. The slightly damp black silk dress shirt she was wearing wasn't helping to hide it in the slightest, despite that fact is looked to be at least a size to big. Briefly, Chris wondered if it had at one time belonged to the Captain. Either way, as she shifted herself he saw the flash of a holster at her waist and assumed it was the berretta she always carried.